View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Word Abuse

by , 03-05-2023 at 06:05 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less.'. From Alice in Wonderland by Charles Dodson, AKA Lewis Carroll

One fundamental element of language is that the words have the same meanings for everyone using that language. On the other hand, metaphorical and ironic uses of words are common and are meaningful, and languages evolve, in part, by people using words in different ways. Some people use words ...
  2. Turn Back Time

by , 06-29-2022 at 10:49 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Up until a few decades ago, women controlled everything, and they did so by indirection. They did not hold top positions in government or business, at least not for the most part, and they didn’t control through government or business. They controlled through nature.

From a young age, women, girls even, learned and still learn that they must control themselves, and that might be why they develop a lack of self-confidence by age eight. Maybe they realize how difficult it will be to ...
  3. Maybe We Are Alone

by , 06-17-2020 at 09:37 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I ran across another article about the probability of finding other intelligent life forms in the universe. Alas, it is behind a pay wall, and I do not wish to sign up for something else. But the abstract does not mention mitochondria nor does the article from which I learned of it, so I would guess that it did not consider how difficult it might be for a single cell lifeforms to take mitochondria, or some similar bacteria, and make it symbiotic.

I think that the ideas about how ...
  4. Who Are Modern Humans

by , 10-27-2014 at 09:27 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    It might simply be that most of the magazine articles that are written about evolutionary anthropology are written by journalists who don’t know much about evolutionary Anthropology, but I still find it annoying to read things like this article about genetic evidence of interbreeding between so-called modern humans and Neanderthals around sixty thousand years ago. http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/201...g-habits-video The basic ...
  5. Future Evolution

by , 07-08-2014 at 03:59 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I realize that I claimed that evolution had ended, but that may have been slightly exaggerated. While humans were essentially built the way they are quite a while ago, it appears that evolution is continuing in the same direction now. You have probably read ideas of humans turning into lightly muscled large brained animals with no hair at all in the future. That isn’t how evolution has been going over the last thirty thousand years.

Brain size has actually fallen a bit, especially ...

Updated 07-08-2014 at 07:37 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast