View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Policing

by , 04-02-2023 at 05:52 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    In recent years there has been discussion regarding the funding of police. Some people seem to want to eliminate police, while others want them retained. My opinion is a little different. I want the police to enforce the laws, and I think that more police will be necessary for that. As it is, the police enforce those laws that they feel like enforcing for people they feel like working for. I have complained to the police several times over the past several years, but neither arrest nor prosecution ...
  2. Outlaw Public Photography

by , 03-26-2016 at 05:44 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    In the past (http://www.online-literature.com/for...blems&bt=65182 ) I wrote about photography as an attempt by people with poor memories to hang onto images of things. Analogously with what Plato wrote in regard to writing and reading photography is damaging the abilities of many people to remember what things and people look like. In addition, photography is an intrusion into personal space, and many photographers don’t even recognize the right of ...
  3. Simple and Effective Criminal Punishment

by , 10-14-2013 at 02:03 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    There were good reasons why the adage “spare the rod and spoil the child” has been in use for so long. In isn’t the act of hitting that instills decent behavior; it is the matter of receiving prompt and appropriate punishment. Even those who have been conditioned by their genetic heritage can be amended to some degree, if the treatment is prompt and appropriate. Not only can that help parents to teach their children to mind their manners at home, but thousands of years of experience have shown that ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized