View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Ending Homelessness

by , 07-30-2021 at 09:38 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Once again, I find myself returning to this difficult matter. Difficult though it is, I think that it is possible to accomplish, but it will require changes in tax policy and in some business customs.

As we all know, there was an equilibrium in the housing market with respect to incomes until the 1970's or 80's a single person making minimum wage could rent an apartment in most places in the U.S.A., and a well paid person had plenty of money left after housing expenses. The change ...
  2. Restoring Civility

by , 04-06-2019 at 07:19 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    During most of my life so far I lived in rather safe areas, places where the general populace was well-behaved, and there was a local police force that was adequate. Unfortunately, the place where I presently live is becoming progressively less safe. Eight years ago, I moved back to Amherst; unfortunately, Amherst has gone from being a pleasant and friendly place to a place where people are in fear of violent crime, and with good reason, a significant part of the town’s population has become unreliable, ...

Updated 04-06-2019 at 07:23 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Getting Them Off the Streets

by , 07-21-2016 at 05:03 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Comments about homelessness in the U.S.A.

Here in Amherst, Massachusetts the issue of homelessness has become a major thing recently because of some rather unpleasant people who seem to like to stay in public view. There have been homeless people here for decades, or longer, but that is true of all college towns. In the past, most of the homeless people had the good sense to be polite and keep a low profile, and those who were not polite usually were rather clearly mentally ill. For ...

Updated 07-26-2016 at 02:18 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Regarding Stupidity and Homelessness

by , 06-08-2016 at 01:56 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    A few days ago I started a thoughtful and detailed blog on the problem of homelessness in the U.S.A., its causes, and suggestions for correcting the problem. After considering the matter more carefully, I realized that I was wasting my time, because the fundamental problem is stupidity, plain and simple. I realize that this is somewhat oversimplified, but when we get down to the nitty-gritty that’s what’s there. But I will admit to over-generalizing. I am somewhat familiar with the homeless population ...
  5. Political Cultures

by , 01-09-2015 at 04:39 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    This morning I saw this video about Utah saving money and housing homeless people by simply giving the homeless apartments. It certainly makes sense, and it would be effective and cost effective, but I doubt that we will see much more of this, because many people make lots of money off the homeless; although it may be different in different places.
    http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/ln...rshare_fbshare

Here in Massachusetts most social services ...