View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Whose Problem

by , 09-25-2021 at 02:54 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I don’t think it will come with a whimper or a bang. A few good epithets are much more likely. Or maybe I am just becoming less patient with those humans (the ones who do really stupid things.), but it isn’t just me. Consider the recent news: Apparently the Gabby Petito matter became a crime, because that guy wasn’t able to control himself in dealing with a rather attractive woman. Any man stupid enough to murder a woman like Gabby should get the same treatment, when he will be caught.
    Then ...
  2. Hat in the Ring?

by , 01-26-2019 at 04:57 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Has the time come for me to toss my hat into the ring for the presidency of the United States of America in 2020?

The U.S.A. hasn't had an independent president since Washington. And I doubt that any party would be willing to back me, except maybe the Libertarian Party. Or I could declare that I am with the Classical Liberal Party, and that would confuse most people. Having someone at the top who was as unconnected from political insiders and criminals world be refreshing. Several ...
  3. What's Wrong with Gun Control

by , 10-09-2017 at 03:10 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Sometimes I wonder whether people in the U.S.A. ever bother reading the documents that are the basis of the U.S. government. There have been other countries that declared independence from a mother country and produced a declaration of independence, but from what I know of those documents, they were in legalistic style, so they are not easy to read. The U.S. Declaration of Independence was well written by someone who knew what he was doing; although it was damaged somewhat by amendments on the floor ...

Updated 10-11-2017 at 07:35 AM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. On Fascism

by , 10-01-2017 at 08:08 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Strength through unity
    Versus
    "Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too." Voltaire in his Essay on Tolerance

Fascism is a word that is thrown around without people even thinking about what it means. It started as an Italian word for a political group, and it derived from the Latin word ‘fasces’, which was the bundle of rod from which an axe protruded. Until Mussolini started using the term it could have been applied to any political ...

Updated 10-02-2017 at 04:10 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Restoring Good Government

by , 06-07-2017 at 12:11 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Restoring Good Government

For decades I have read dire predictions of the decline of Western Civilization, and sometimes the predictions seemed almost persuasive, but when one looks carefully one finds only opinions supported by other opinions, like the Anthropogenic Climate Change arguments, as substantial as the stuffing of a hot air balloon. Often those predictions of the fall of Western Civilization express the desires of a few people and poor analysis of what has happening and ...

Updated 06-07-2017 at 06:43 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast