View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. How to Complain

by , 05-18-2022 at 01:06 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Recently, I have experienced people complaining in ineffective ways. They had real, legitimate complaints to make, but they presented the complaints in ways that would insure that they would be ignored. In my youth I learned to expressing unhappiness and persuading people to change something to make it more acceptable to me are two different things.

Expressing unhappiness by screaming at someone may give some personal satisfaction, but it is unlikely to get the target of the rant ...
  2. Is There Hope?

by , 05-11-2022 at 12:36 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I was thinking about a new topic for a blog without much success. I have a few half written posts that didn't come together, but a few minutes I came across a post on a forum in which someone was asking about optimistic nihilist characters. I looked into the concept as it is handled online, and I realized that I am not one, and the philosophy is opposed to what I think. Apparently, there are people who believe that they live in a meaningless universe with no raison d'etre. I feel sorry for them. ...
  3. Good Nutrition & Better Logic

by , 08-06-2021 at 05:41 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I don't generally even think about nutrition, but it came to mind recently as a widely popular marketing scam. And the horrible lunch I had today (chicken with coconut curry) tamped it down. The chicken would have been dandy, it it had simply cooked in its fat and a little added water to make it fill the rice, but there was no fat in the chicken, and it was dry, so it was barely edible. Then I remembered that fat has bee relegated to a low place in current American cookery, and that is very unfortunate, ...
  4. Poor Journalism

by , 10-14-2020 at 06:55 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    There are many reasons for the business problems that newspapers have these days, but one major problems that also affects online and broadcast journalism is poor writing. Expository writing is fairly simple for people who can grasp simple logic.

An expository article or essay has three basic parts: introduction, which tells the subject being discussed, the body or details, and the conclusion, which sums up the details. I have read that the military discusses these three parts as: ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Using poor Logic

by , 09-19-2020 at 05:41 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I have decried logical fallacies more times than I should have, but I still see people trying to win arguments with fallacies. I didn't learn logic in elementary school, only grammar, which is the logical structure of language, but I got the basics in high school, and I got even more in college, but I made the mistake of not taking a course in logic; I took Ethics instead, and it was amusing.

This isn't my favorite topic, but it can be useful, and today I shot down comments by an ...
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast