Blog Comments

More and greater fools have kept bitcoin going.
    Interesting post re: bitcoin. Have heard of many failures and its volatility... haven't heard of many legitimate successes, but there must be some else it would have bust by now I guess. I think the hassle of regulation will be its ultimate demise, but who knows... they prolly have great lobbyists with deep pockets.

Ta ! (short for tarradiddle),
    tailor
    Good grief ! Hoping all is proceeding well.

Your experience would be worthy of a modernistic Skaldic epic.

Enjoyed this from the .pdf: "They drained the blood from Quash’s pale corpse, blended it with the sweetest of honey, and then left the mixture to brew in a barrel. The mead they created was so intoxicating that anyone who had even the tinniest sip would utter honey sweet words and poetry would rush from their mouth like a fierce river."

- note: the act of copying and pasting the text hazarded much editing in itself.

Interesting tradition of poetry worthy of studying further

Pray all is well,

tailor
    Probably not, because we already know that democracy is not a good system for government, but Having someone who is stationed off Earth might be a good idea, but using a non-human as overseer would not be a good idea, because such a character would not understand human behavior. So I will move to another planet and rule through viceroys.
    Interesting read.

Perhaps a benevolent off world alien despot overseeing the democracys of countries... eliminating states as governmental agents

tailor
    Perhaps the media people should be the first ones to tr out the pillories.
    Interesting thoughts. I believe that sensational foibles are more public nowadays. As with a baseball analogy one just didn't write/spread what happened on and off the field with teammates, it was a code not to be broken. Certain other figures, politicians included, were even protected by the press for a long time. Ethical erosion will always be with us. The popular phrase "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" and the street creed never ""rat out"/squeal/snitch" are tribal affectations that no longer apply to media, politics, et al. I'd hate to see pillories become popular, but nowadays the media is its own exposé, judge, jury, and executioner.

tailor
    Kindergarten or similar may help, but I think the most important thing is the education one receives at home. And people change a lot from a generation to the next. I think today people are more outspoken and less polite.

I also feel uncomfortable at social gatherings, for example parties, unless I know all the people. I am very shy, but one develops some mechanisms to hide the shyness.
    I fully agree that social media makes people less social. On line people sometimes are more aggressive and say things they wouldn't if confronted physically with the other person. But grabbing a stranger on the street is weird.

On the other hand social communication through the internet can be soothing and helpful in times of forced isolation like pandemics. But I don't like social media with its gossip and hate waves. I prefer forums, which are more friendly.
    I never went to kindergarten... might explain a lot; I'm always uncomfortable in social settings to the point of anxiety where I eke by with medication. I'd be apt to put someone in the hospital by accident if someone grabbed me unawares. People where I live believe they have a right to their own rules living in the country... especially when it comes to the rules of the road... most annoying and potentially deadly. As it is, I get by with all the zaniness society has to offer by living a tenet from my faith: to be in the world but not of the world. I get your point about social media making people less social.

tailor
    I was doing some study on Paul Dirac for a poem... he had created what one might call a breakthrough with his massive contribution in physics that helped lay the groundwork for a standard model. At dirac speed he encouraged the few he would speak to set it all behind and create other theories to pursue the beauty that lay beyond
    Updated 07-12-2023 at 06:49 PM by tailor STATELY (first pursue > create)
    Both happened, because the dollar lost value, so they increaased the number of dollars for something. Pay inflation and retail inflation are effects of thje underlying problem.
    I may be seeing double here... economics seems to be a shell game played by grifters; one gets a raise and then the goods industry raises their prices accordingly in addition to a % for the CEO and shareholders for their inconvenience for having to raise their prices

tailor
    Exactly

tailor
    And what does it say about a society that lets its people live in barely livable conditions?
    Homelessness is so tragic in this state/country and never far from my mind because it's in my face everywhere I go. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer... it never ends. Had institutions had the proper humanity and funds required to serve the infirm perhaps they would have survived.

Meanwhile those in the lower- middleclass are becoming the new homeless due to property barons, corporate greed, and inept public servants. No relief in sight.
    I feel your frustration. Society is a mess and throwing money at it doesn't seem to help.

tailor
    Quote Originally Posted by tailor STATELY
    Intriguing post.

My daughter and I have had conversations re: body composting and mandatory garbage composting recently. "A new law in California requires food waste to be composted: The goal is to reduce food waste in landfills by 75%." Feb 7, 2022 / NPR

Hoping these modest actions will make for a brighter future for our progeny.

tailor

Composting is good, but many things cannot be composted. Plastics and some other organic materials can't be composted, but they can be depolymerized. A teo step process might work, but the more steps, the more it would cost. Eliminating cemetaries would be good, and that land could be used for something. Ihave never figured out why people want to save corpses. If they want a memorial, then they might try turning the corpse into a fossil, which doesn't take a terribly long time to get going. That's how I would prefer for my corpse to be handled, and afterwards, it could be set up as a statue.
    Intriguing post.

My daughter and I have had conversations re: body composting and mandatory garbage composting recently. "A new law in California requires food waste to be composted: The goal is to reduce food waste in landfills by 75%." Feb 7, 2022 / NPR

Hoping these modest actions will make for a brighter future for our progeny.

tailor
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsapoppin
    An easier way to reduce or end inflation is to close all overseas tax shelters. There are many articles on this subject online:

https://www.google.com/search?q=endi...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Democrats Obama and Biden advocated closing them. Congressional Republicans refuse to do so. Thus the problem is of their making.
    Ending tax shelters would make taxes fairer, but it wouldn't do much about inflation. The Treasury could still play with bonds.
    An easier way to reduce or end inflation is to close all overseas tax shelters. There are many articles on this subject online:

https://www.google.com/search?q=endi...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Democrats Obama and Biden advocated closing them. Congressional Republicans refuse to do so. Thus the problem is of their making.
Page 1 of 52 1234561151 ... LastLast