View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Person to Person Communication

by , 08-11-2020 at 08:16 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    A number of years ago, an old friend told me about the book that he had just read. The premise of the novel was that humans do not actually use speech to communicate; speech is an attention getting signal only; the actual communication is direct , mind-to-mind. We were staying at a friend's house, and the next morning someone else who was staying there was looking at albums to play, and mentioned something by the Moody Blues. I was not wildly enthusiastic about the Moody Blues, but I like some of ...
  2. Writing about Writing

by , 02-05-2017 at 09:28 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I was asked today when I would be posting to my blog again. Alas, I have been busy trying to get my novel into shape for publishing, so I confessed that and decided that I should start plugging my novel. When I last looked, it was about 93,000 words and formatted as a trade paperback came to about three hundred pages. The title will be “Harry’s Time Tours, Inc.” I had been thinking of it as Studies in Causation, but I have been having trouble remembering that title; although it might be a good title ...

Updated 02-05-2017 at 09:37 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Illusion of Free Will

by , 01-22-2017 at 05:46 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    The concept that humans are able to freely make decisions and act upon them is quite common, and it appears to have existed for many thousands of years, at least. On the surface it often appears that people are making their own decisions, and so on, but on a deeper level, human activities probably are controlled by events and causes that are outside the control of those persons.

A strong argument can be made that everything that happens is the result of earlier causes; although it ...
  4. Language Change

by , 11-01-2016 at 08:14 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    At some time in the past I wrote about the perception of the passage of time and subjective idea of how long is a time. That matter came to mind again today in regard to the evolution of language.

Many things change over time, and language is one. I am far from being old, but in my few years the English language has already changed significantly. I don’t know whether they are being suggestive, but many women will reply, “I’m good.” When asked “How are you?"

Not ...
  5. Self- Delusion for Your Own Good

by , 10-10-2014 at 09:21 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Remain calm. All actions are futile.

We all know in our subconscious minds that there is no hope, and that everything is predetermined, so our actions and decisions are predetermined, so we might as well not do anything. Yes, life is completely pointless, except as a tool for DNA to develop more complicated organisms. We are all in the same position as the character on The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut who produced a replacement part for the Tralfamadorians by a series of acts ...

Updated 10-10-2014 at 09:28 AM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast