View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. How Long

by , 08-30-2023 at 02:44 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    For several reasons, I sometimes wonder how long humans can live, and I also wonder whether death may be voluntary. In my limited experience, people often seem to have an innate sense for how long they will live, and they are relatively accurate, and that has led me to wonder how long humans can live. There was that Chinese herbalist, Li Ching-Yuen, who lived more than 250 years. And there was Old Tom Parr, an Englishman who lived 152 years. And there are others who were 150 years or older when ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Is it true that I’m no longer young?

by , 08-14-2014 at 02:06 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    This is something that I wrote a few months ago and forgot about, but it’s worth the wait.

I don’t worry about it, but as with my questions about the perception of time, I wonder how other people perceive their own aging. There are many signs, both real and illusory, of aging, and they appear at different times in different people’s lives. I have been listening to the Jefferson Airplane recently, and I enjoy their lyrics and sounds more now than I did when they were fresh and new. ...

Updated 08-14-2014 at 06:41 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Rates of aging

by , 05-20-2014 at 04:38 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Aging is a more interesting subject than critical judgment, so I'll forget the other one for now. Have you noticed that some people look old before they hit forty, while others look youthful into their seventies? Even more interesting, some parts of bodies age faster than others. We all know about telomers, but this link tells of methylation of genes, as part of the aging process in addition to stopping the activity of genes, and it also tells of differential aging rates. http://io9.com/scientists-discover-p...ffn-1449085569 ...