View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Word Abuse

by , 03-05-2023 at 06:05 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less.'. From Alice in Wonderland by Charles Dodson, AKA Lewis Carroll

One fundamental element of language is that the words have the same meanings for everyone using that language. On the other hand, metaphorical and ironic uses of words are common and are meaningful, and languages evolve, in part, by people using words in different ways. Some people use words ...
  2. Missing Words

by , 09-22-2015 at 02:00 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    It is said that English has more words than any other language. I have not counted all the words in every language, so I don’t know for sure, but I have read things to that effect enough time that I have come to believe it. Even with all those words, it is possible that some have been missed, words that should be in the language but are not.

I started this after I saw the freshly coined word “islamophobia” in the head line of an editorial (I really should stop reading newspapers). ...

Updated 09-23-2015 at 01:27 PM by PeterL

Tags: english, words
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Dropping R’s and Shifting Vowels

by , 07-16-2015 at 09:42 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Some People Do Drop Their R’s

It has been said many times that New Englanders drop their R’s, but it is not true. I knew a little about linguistics, but not all that much, and even my maternal unit, who was a fairly good linguist opined that New England accents dropped R’s. Who was I to disagree?

So there I was in Lebanon, New Hampshire working with a guy from South Carolina, a guy from West Virginia, and the regional manager was from Maine. The South Carolinian ...