View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Grammar of Living

by , 02-23-2014 at 03:16 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Once again I have noticed a lack of understanding of logic tripping someone up. I’m beginning to think that few people have any understanding for logic, even though it is central to the understanding of human speech, as just one example. I have had little training directly in logic, but it has been part of many things that I have learned, including grammar and mathematics. Perhaps some people don’t take their lessons in math and apply it to other aspects of life. And some people seem to have trouble ...

Updated 02-23-2014 at 03:52 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Grammar, Ignorance, Logic, and the Illuminati

by , 03-24-2013 at 01:24 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Formal logic was developed from natural language and reasoning, but not all people understand language in the same way, and many people are careless in their use of natural language. For example, there are people who only use the present tense, even though there was a past, and there will be a future. And there are a few deficiencies in natural language. For example, there is nothing that directly shows whether something is intended as an opinion or as fact, and this can lead to significant problems. ...