View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Banning Books

by , 09-30-2015 at 11:46 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I noticed that this is Banned Books Week, so I looked at the ALA (American Library Association) website to see what they have about it. http://www.ala.org/bbooks/ It includes lists of banned books, and it brought tears to my eyes. For the decade 2001 – 2010 the Harry Potter series leads the list as the most banned in the U.S. I only read the first four, so I don’t know how good the rest are, but the ones I read were very good. It isn’t literature for the centuries, but it’s better than the Hardy ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. The Dominant Sex

by , 09-25-2015 at 06:51 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    It probably is a mistake for me to write this, but I had to start it.
    There is much too much in this matter for me to thoroughly cover it in a blog post. A three hundred page book would be a better start.

The Economist had an article this week (link below) that reinforces what most people have long known; i.e., that females are still the dominant sex among humans. I realize that many people mouth the converse of that, but woman have always controlled everything ...

Updated 09-26-2015 at 03:54 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Missing Words

by , 09-22-2015 at 02:00 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    It is said that English has more words than any other language. I have not counted all the words in every language, so I don’t know for sure, but I have read things to that effect enough time that I have come to believe it. Even with all those words, it is possible that some have been missed, words that should be in the language but are not.

I started this after I saw the freshly coined word “islamophobia” in the head line of an editorial (I really should stop reading newspapers). ...

Updated 09-23-2015 at 01:27 PM by PeterL

Tags: english, words
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Eliminating Drug Problems

by , 09-19-2015 at 04:10 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I probably should stop reading newspapers. Yesterday I saw an opinion piece about siting an addiction treatment facility. Apparently there are people who are opposed to such things. The writer of the piece didn’t even touch the real problem: certain drugs are illegal, so the use of them can become a problem. Most of the problems involving drugs are from their illegality rather than the drug itself or reactions to the drug; although there sometimes are overdoses. If the drugs were legal and the chemical ...
  5. In Search of Ignorance

by , 09-16-2015 at 02:46 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    This is my reply to a column in the Massachusetts Daily Collegian that I read while having lunch near the University of Massachusetts. http://dailycollegian.com/2015/09/15...ime-and-money/

Mr Pappas, I found your column "Get rid of gen-ed courses that cost time and money" interesting in several ways, and I might be able to assist you in a small way. You are completely right that Gen-Ed requirements don't lead toward your faster completion of a degree program in business, ...

Updated 09-17-2015 at 04:38 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast