View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. On Madness

by , 02-19-2022 at 10:21 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Irrationality may have a useful place in human activity. For one thing, it allows people to avoid depression when stuck is a hopeless situation. There seldom is a truly hopeless situation, but there are some that look like that, and dreams of something good coming along are better than stewing in the bad situation.

I didn't start writing this for that reason. In December I had an even more interesting situation that was brought back to mind when I briefly spoke with a woman who is ...
  2. Imagination and Delusion

by , 11-09-2016 at 07:51 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Or
    Why do people believe irrational and delusion things?

This is closely related to the difference between fiction and non-fiction, and I am completely comfortable discussing that. Fiction is that which we want to put forth as being other than an accurate description of the world. Fiction includes things that are completely made up, fantasy, dreams, etc. Fiction can also be a slightly altered version of what we see in the world that is altered for dramatic effect or some other ...

Updated 11-09-2017 at 08:27 AM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Serfs Anonymous

by , 02-13-2014 at 10:47 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I was just writing the submission guidelines for a magazine that I am planning to start, when I came to the matter of the Fantasy subgenre. For some reason it has remained stuck in the Middle Ages, and I wonder why. There is something cute about knights, but is a strongly hierarchical society all that interesting or desirable, or what. Do the writers of that sort of thing want to be serfs in a restored feudal society? If that’s the sort of society they want, then they must realize that I would ...

Updated 02-13-2014 at 06:35 PM by PeterL (typos)

Categories
    Uncategorized