View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Is There Hope?

by , 05-11-2022 at 12:36 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I was thinking about a new topic for a blog without much success. I have a few half written posts that didn't come together, but a few minutes I came across a post on a forum in which someone was asking about optimistic nihilist characters. I looked into the concept as it is handled online, and I realized that I am not one, and the philosophy is opposed to what I think. Apparently, there are people who believe that they live in a meaningless universe with no raison d'etre. I feel sorry for them. ...
  2. Fine Art of False Premises

by , 09-12-2017 at 07:39 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Using false premises allows one to create a seemingly logical argument that is false. An easy way to build on false premises is to base one’s argument on opinions, rather than facts. For example, sometime last week I saw several things to the effect that ACC had caused hurricane Harvey. The first time I heard that, I just laughed, but with several repeats I started to be concerned. Apparently, some people have forgotten that hurricanes existed even back in the Little Ice Age; they start without ...

Updated 09-13-2017 at 07:53 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Devilishness

by , 10-28-2016 at 07:40 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Earlier today someone mentioned the idea of cursing the Devil. Cursing is calling down evil on something. The Devil, in whatever form or name, is evil itself, so to call down evil on the Devil would be patting it on the back. So might cursing the Devil actually blessing the Devil in both senses. I’m tying this in knots, because this is a self-contradictory concept.

I didn’t get very far with that; although it may become a story sometime, so I started thinking about Gods and Goddesses ...
    Tags: darkness, evil, gods, light
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Do Muslims and Christians Worship the Same God?

by , 12-16-2015 at 09:31 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Apparently, this has become a matter of contention among some Christians, Muslims, and Jews. I looked at an interview of a professional theologian (what a wonderful job that must be) who is of the opinion that Muslims, Christians and Jews do worship the same God. That should not have required any thought, but some people make mountains out of molehills. There never was any doubt as to whether Christians and Muslims worshipped the same God. Mohammed had already converted to Christianity before he ...

Updated 12-16-2015 at 09:33 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Some Attributes of the Gods

by , 04-26-2014 at 10:51 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    The concept of god(s) tells us a great deal about people, and it tells us more when we look at the particularly options available and who opts for which sort of god(s). As was recorded by the ancestors of the Ancient Greeks, the Gods overthrew the rule of their parents, the Titans. From the fragmentary evidence that is still available it appears that the Titans and the Gods were all in possession of powers that were much greater than are humans, but in other ways the Gods were quite like humans ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized