View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. The Inutility of Higher Education

by , 04-02-2022 at 11:20 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I am not completely against higher education, but it has little or no value for most people, and it may even have negative value in some cases. This is not something that was on my mind, but it came to mind while was thinking about recent adventures in the medical industry. I have plenty of respect for any of the people in the medical industry, but I think that they waste a lot of time in classrooms, when it comes down to what may be useful in the business. It isn’t just that one of the physicians ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. To End Political Lies

by , 01-12-2020 at 04:08 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Has it become normal and ordinary for people who are demonstrably irrational or delusional or suffering from other types of mental illness to be treated as if they were sane?

From political puffery to conspiracy theories to quack medicine to deviant behavior becoming the norm mental abnormalities are becoming acceptable in general society. In a general sense this is not a new thing; people have been complaining about the lowering of standards of behavior for thousands of years, but ...
  3. Or What?

by , 10-06-2019 at 04:51 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I frequently wonder about those silly Earthlings. Most of them Have serious problems with science, math, mathematics, and logic. How did they manage to develop anything even vaguely like civilization? But I haven't been able to figure out why they have such problems. But I haven't been able to figure out why. Is it herd mentality (which would be an inborn tendency) that makes them believe without question anyone who is said to be an authority, or what, but most humans seem to have a need to agree ...
  4. Facts Versus Myths

by , 12-14-2018 at 07:12 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Facts Versus Myths

Once again today, I encountered someone who was unwilling to accept facts as facts and opined that facts were opinions, and that their "facts" were opinions. This is the kind of thinking that states as fact that someone turned water into wine, or some other absurdity was actually done. Such things also show up in politics, and I expect that ignorance of history together with a desire that certain things are the bases for culture lead people to decide to ...

Updated 12-14-2018 at 08:41 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Political Correctness and the Climate

by , 05-20-2017 at 03:17 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Among a wide swath of Americans there are several topics about which disagreement is not permitted; these include: race, gender, religion, disabilities, war, trade, crime, punishment, drugs, climate change, and a variety of other issues. The committee of political purity has looked at these matters and decreed that there is one single opinion permitted for these matters, and straying from the approved opinion is strictly forbidden. For most matters it is simply a matter of people with strong opinions ...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast