View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. How to Complain

by , 05-18-2022 at 01:06 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Recently, I have experienced people complaining in ineffective ways. They had real, legitimate complaints to make, but they presented the complaints in ways that would insure that they would be ignored. In my youth I learned to expressing unhappiness and persuading people to change something to make it more acceptable to me are two different things.

Expressing unhappiness by screaming at someone may give some personal satisfaction, but it is unlikely to get the target of the rant ...
  2. Is There Hope?

by , 05-11-2022 at 12:36 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I was thinking about a new topic for a blog without much success. I have a few half written posts that didn't come together, but a few minutes I came across a post on a forum in which someone was asking about optimistic nihilist characters. I looked into the concept as it is handled online, and I realized that I am not one, and the philosophy is opposed to what I think. Apparently, there are people who believe that they live in a meaningless universe with no raison d'etre. I feel sorry for them. ...
  3. Where's the Hype

by , 05-08-2022 at 01:52 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    A skill that is nice to have is the ability to tell the difference between hype and facts. People often say “Follow the money.” and that is one of the best methods for determining which is what.

If you remember the bottled water campaign and followed the money before buying bottled water, then you would have learned that the campaign was from the marketing department of Nestles, and it had started shortly after Nestles had bought three bottled water companies in the U.S., so the ...