View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Improving Government

by , 10-03-2023 at 04:55 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    There are several types of government, and each types has its backers, but I think that only two kinds of government have been called the best, but I believe that benevolent despotism has most consistently been recognized as the best form of government. Some people suggest that it might be impossible to have the despot remain benevolent, but that is more a matter of the personality of the individual than anything else. Whether a particular individual would agree that the despot was benevolent might ...
  2. Monarchy

by , 10-07-2018 at 04:04 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I Have lived my life so far in a federal republic, and I have seen how poorly that works. Republics try to give a voice to everyone that can be involved. Democracy is even worse, because everyone has a voice and a vote, even the insane, drunk, or mentally defective, and results often show the influence of such people. Aristocracy all too often deteriorates into plutocracy or oligarchy. If we are talking about governing a major country, then we are more interested in results than in process. ...
  3. The Ideal of Government

by , 08-11-2018 at 02:52 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Thomas Hobbes was right. On a fundamental level government is an agreement among the governed to cede some of their personal rights and autonomy in exchange for government providing a framework within which the people governed can more readily and safely carry of heir lives than they could without government. The government provides rules and basic services, such as roads and such, and the people governed pay for the services with a small and equitable service fee called taxes.

In ...
  4. Restoring Good Government

by , 06-07-2017 at 12:11 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Restoring Good Government

For decades I have read dire predictions of the decline of Western Civilization, and sometimes the predictions seemed almost persuasive, but when one looks carefully one finds only opinions supported by other opinions, like the Anthropogenic Climate Change arguments, as substantial as the stuffing of a hot air balloon. Often those predictions of the fall of Western Civilization express the desires of a few people and poor analysis of what has happening and ...

Updated 06-07-2017 at 06:43 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Pity Poor Trump or the Country

by , 01-17-2017 at 08:45 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    While he is not poor in wealth, unless he is hiding some facts, he is poor in other ways. He is so small-minded that he lets criticism bother him, or does he realize that the criticisms are largely correct and he wants to drown them out? Was he fooled into running for president? That could be true, because he hadn’t wanted the job; he just wanted more publicity.
    Then there’s the matter of being cozy with the Russians. If he doesn’t realize that he is being played for a fool, then he may ...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast