View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Nomenclature of Political Parties

by , 07-10-2019 at 11:07 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    For some reason I started thinking about the Guelphs and Ghibellines, Tories, Know Nothings, Northern Leagues, and various other names that political parties have chosen. While some of the names were intended to show what the party was about, the stance of the party on issues and political preferences tend to evolve over time; thus the name might cease to be appropriate. And some of the names are just words that were applied to a political group.

Perhaps the most interesting terms ...
  2. Minding Business

by , 05-25-2019 at 02:06 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I sometimes find myself wondering why someone isn’t minding his or her own business. And I usually to do that, but The Valley Advocate got me to do otherwise. This preference hasn’t shown up in my blog often, but blogs are for people to vent their opinions. The Feature Article in the paper was about physician assisted suicide, which is an excellent example of people taking responsibility for themselves. Then when I opened the paper the first heading I saw was an opinion piece about “healthy food ...
  3. Restoring Good Government

by , 06-07-2017 at 12:11 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Restoring Good Government

For decades I have read dire predictions of the decline of Western Civilization, and sometimes the predictions seemed almost persuasive, but when one looks carefully one finds only opinions supported by other opinions, like the Anthropogenic Climate Change arguments, as substantial as the stuffing of a hot air balloon. Often those predictions of the fall of Western Civilization express the desires of a few people and poor analysis of what has happening and ...

Updated 06-07-2017 at 06:43 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. The Best Form of Government

by , 05-02-2017 at 06:34 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Reasonable people tend to agree with Thoreau that the government that governs least governs best, but there are practical reasons for having some government. What would be the best way to organize that little bit of government that we would need? Opinions would vary, but there are certain characteristics that would be desirable and other characteristics that would be undesirable. If we look at those characteristics, then an answer should be that form that best first the desires.

5. Liberalism, Philosophy of Freedom

by , 03-17-2015 at 02:44 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    The philosophy and idealism that was championed during the Enlightenment and cherished in the United States of America and restored by the Counter Culture in the 1960’s and 1970’s is starting to erode again. There seem to be people who think that their opinions and religious beliefs are better than the opinions of others. I learned that that opinion is best characterized as totalitarianism, and it has led to religious persecution in the past and in the present. That is the philosophy that ISIS is ...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast