View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Financial Equality

by , 11-11-2019 at 09:15 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Recently the idea of taxing billionaires out of existence was brought up by Elizabeth Warren as part of her run for president. She wants to use the proceeds from this tax to fund her idea of Medicare for everyone, so she thinks that a tax that discriminates against some people is a good idea, even though it would be a statutory taking and a violation of due process. Such ideas have come up in the past, but the basic problem with it still is that removing the incentive to be successful will stop ...

Updated 11-17-2019 at 07:01 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Equal Before the Law

by , 08-29-2018 at 10:10 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I am shocked that young people haven’t already stood up and demanded their rights under the Fourteenth Amendment. Young citizens of the United States of America fairly often take to the streets to demand something for someone, but I don’t recall them demonstrating to demand their own rights. I didn't even think about it when I was a young college student and drinker, but having a minimum age for buying and using alcohol is a clear violation of the Equal Protection clause of the Fourteenth Amendment ...
  3. Economic War

by , 03-02-2018 at 08:39 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Not all wars are examples of diplomacy failing. The economic war that Trump has set up is a personal affair, that he didn’t negotiated with anyone; although at Davos he commented that a weak dollar would help U.S. trade. And it will; it will make U.S. goods less expensive than similar goods from other countries. That should help U.S. manufacturers to some degree. But a weak dollar will make the U.S. less desirable as a place to invest, because it will lower the values of capital assets, especially ...
  4. Equality

by , 04-05-2017 at 11:51 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Hey, we've gotten rid a few legal inequalities, let's try for the rest.

I favor equality before the law, and I'm not shy about expressing that opinion. Here in the U.S.A. we are supposed to have equality both on the federal level and the state level, but legislators have snuck in bits of inequality all over the place. The states are required to treat people equally by the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment:

"All persons born or naturalized in ...
  5. Rewriting the Social Contract

by , 08-23-2016 at 02:16 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    “Social Contract theory, nearly as old as philosophy itself, is the view that persons' moral and/or political obligations are dependent upon a contract or agreement among them to form the society in which they live.” From the article on “Social Contract theory” in the Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy, http://www.iep.utm.edu/soc-cont/

The idea to Social Contract doesn’t often come to mind, but it’s there in the background most of the time, but it has come up a few times ...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast