View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Determinism and Time Travel

by , 04-25-2020 at 08:35 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Another part of the discussion of Equal Rights and freedom is whether people are capable of making free choices. Do we have free will?

If our actions, thoughts, feelings, etc. are determined does it make any difference whether we have equal legal rights; our rights would be restricted to what had been determined.

One of the paradoxes of time travel is the possibility of reversing the sequence of cause and effect, and the cause and effect relationship is fundamental ...
  2. Writing about Writing

by , 02-05-2017 at 09:28 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I was asked today when I would be posting to my blog again. Alas, I have been busy trying to get my novel into shape for publishing, so I confessed that and decided that I should start plugging my novel. When I last looked, it was about 93,000 words and formatted as a trade paperback came to about three hundred pages. The title will be “Harry’s Time Tours, Inc.” I had been thinking of it as Studies in Causation, but I have been having trouble remembering that title; although it might be a good title ...

Updated 02-05-2017 at 09:37 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Pivotal Events in History

by , 05-16-2015 at 03:31 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I was thinking about a piece of fiction that I’m writing; it is built around a somewhat mysterious event that led to great changes in the world. It was a simple murder by an unknown attacker that led to religious persecutions, the Inquisition, and great political changes in Europe. This got me to thinking about other pivotal events in history, so I leaned back and started thinking. I made a list of a dozen or so, but there must be more. I searched online, and found a few similar lists, but most ...

Updated 05-20-2015 at 05:21 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. World Level

by , 08-02-2013 at 02:58 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    J. R. R. Tolkien wrote about “secondary worlds,” imaginary worlds created by writers that are internally consistent. But there are other derivative worlds: those of the Many Worlds that split off from the original “primary world”, as decision points came into existence. These are the Many Worlds referenced in the Many Worlds Interpretation of Quantum Theory (or THE THEORY OF THE UNIVERSAL WAVEFUNCTION, as Mr Hugh Everett, III titled his paper). There may be infinity of such worlds, but Occam’s razor ...

Updated 08-03-2013 at 11:09 AM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized