View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Philosophy and Science of Time Travel

by , 09-12-2018 at 10:22 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Those of us in the Time Travel business frequently encounter people who are dubious about the possibility of Time Travel at other than the traditional rate, even though we having been using time travel for centuries, and the theoretical possibility was discovered long before that. Apparently, they have the idea that time has a sort of solid existence the way that matter appears to be solid (but that’s for another time). Time, like space, is separation. Space separates pieces of matter, while time ...

Updated 09-12-2018 at 10:26 AM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Time and Money

by , 12-20-2017 at 09:20 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I recently commented using the old saw "Time is Money", and the person I was speaking to disagreed. While the two are not identical, they have equivalency; one can be converted to the other as a general matter.

"The phrase was coined by Benjamin Franklin in his Advice to a Young Tradesman (1748): Remember that time is money. He that idly loses five shillings' worth of time loses five shillings, and might as prudently throw five shillings into the sea." https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-et...-Time-is-Money ...
  3. Better time

by , 03-09-2017 at 08:58 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    It’s getting near that time when the government dictates that the hour of the day change. Yes, they are doing that again, even though it is disadvantageous to everyone. If we have to change the clocks again, then it should be for a better system. Perhaps we should question the whole system of hours, minutes, and seconds. And we certainly should wonder why it is claimed that midnight is the beginning of the day; we, except for the Bureau of Standards which thinks that the day ends immediately after ...

Updated 03-09-2017 at 09:16 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Time Keeping

by , 05-13-2015 at 07:54 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I have thought up yet another proposal for the reform of time keeping. I was sitting in Starbucks this morning, mourning the lateness of the opening time six AM and remembering watching the sky brighten while sitting that same location, when it occurred to me that setting time by the Sun is a very good idea; people still live by the Sun, even though they use clocks to determine the time.

I first noticed how humans keep Sun time when I was working in Lewiston, Maine for several months. ...
  5. Holidays

by , 10-12-2013 at 03:43 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I suppose that there are reasons for holidays existing, but they can’t be very good reasons, because holidays mostly just get in the way, and yesterday I heard someone ask why Columbus Day was a holiday. If that’s the kind of respect that Columbus gets these days, then he probably would agree that there should not be a holiday for him, even though that’s one of better reasons for a holiday.

If we go back to the beginning, I don’t think that anyone has determined whether demand for ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized