View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. On Madness

by , 02-19-2022 at 10:21 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Irrationality may have a useful place in human activity. For one thing, it allows people to avoid depression when stuck is a hopeless situation. There seldom is a truly hopeless situation, but there are some that look like that, and dreams of something good coming along are better than stewing in the bad situation.

I didn't start writing this for that reason. In December I had an even more interesting situation that was brought back to mind when I briefly spoke with a woman who is ...
  2. Delusion in the White House

by , 12-20-2018 at 08:11 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Maybe it’s just the zeitgeist of this days, but I have noticed more and more people showing signs of delusional thinking. It isn’t just a few people with schizophrenic symptoms, but even the present occupant of the Oval Office shows signs of delusional thinking. It might have been a mistake to mention schizophrenia, because not of the delusional people have that problem; although it is difficult to tell without careful observation and analysis. And while belief in conspiracy theories can indicate ...

Updated 12-29-2018 at 10:54 AM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Gun Crazy?

by , 10-09-2015 at 08:35 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I have read a few items recently that suggest that many people think that Americans are obsessed with guns, firearms. That idea is mistaken. While there are some people who love guns more than is reasonable, Americans have no particular affection for guns; they reserve their love for people who might appreciate it, rather than having love for inanimate objects.

Comments about Americans being gun crazy usually come out shortly after some mentally unbalanced person has slain several ...

Updated 10-10-2015 at 02:12 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized