View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Crises in the News

by , 07-22-2023 at 02:51 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Decades ago, we learned about grade inflation in schools and colleges. Today we are having another kind of inflation; Journalism is inflating everything into a crisis. And it isn’t just journalism; the government is doing the same thing. Yesterday I got an emergency notification on my phone that there was a flash flood watch. There was a thunderstorm later, but I was nowhere near any watercourse that flooded.

If that were the only crisis. Then it would be amusing, but people have ...
  2. Crises in the News

by , 07-22-2023 at 02:50 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Decades ago, we learned about grade inflation in schools and colleges. Today we are having another kind of inflation; Journalism is inflating everything into a crisis. And it isn’t just journalism; the government is doing the same thing. Yesterday I got an emergency notification on my phone that there was a flash flood watch. There was a thunderstorm later, but I was nowhere near any watercourse that flooded.

If that were the only crisis. Then it would be amusing, but people have ...
  3. Works in Progress

by , 02-21-2019 at 07:39 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    From time to time, people ask me what I am writing, and I usually refuse to comment, and sometimes I tell why, and I did that today.

The reason is simple, many stories have one good telling, so I better get it written while I can. A number of years ago I thought of a great story, and I went through and thought out every bit of it from opening to dialogue to the ending. One evening, before I wrote it down I told some friends the story in all details that I could think of. They all ...
  4. Writing Fiction versus Writing Non-Fiction

by , 02-15-2017 at 05:24 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Recently, I was talking to someone about some of the works of Samuel L. Clemens, AKA Mark Twain. I was encouraging the other person to read Roughing It and Life on the Mississippi, both of which are memoirs, rather than fiction. Then we touched on the matter of most of Twain’s fiction not being all that good. But that made sense, because Twain was a reporter of considerable experience, so he wrote in a reportorial fashion.

Good reporters are honest people who are inclined to accurately ...

Updated 02-15-2017 at 06:03 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Writing about Writing

by , 02-05-2017 at 09:28 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I was asked today when I would be posting to my blog again. Alas, I have been busy trying to get my novel into shape for publishing, so I confessed that and decided that I should start plugging my novel. When I last looked, it was about 93,000 words and formatted as a trade paperback came to about three hundred pages. The title will be “Harry’s Time Tours, Inc.” I had been thinking of it as Studies in Causation, but I have been having trouble remembering that title; although it might be a good title ...

Updated 02-05-2017 at 09:37 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast