View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Electric Vehicles, past and future

by , 11-01-2023 at 04:13 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    In the early part of the twentieth Century, there was competition among the manufacturers of motor vehicles as to which type would prevail. Gasoline, steam, and electric were all available, and each had its advantages and disadvantages. Because of the weight, time to recharge, and lack of recharging facilities. Electric vehicle became less popular, except for railroads, where the tracks allowed for easy access to power. The internal combustion engine became the general rule, because the makers of ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Automobile Era

by , 08-03-2019 at 04:12 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I just red an article from the New Yorker, "Was the Automotive Era a Terrible Mistake?" By Nathan Heller.
    https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...GSe6mI5KV2vtJk
    I don't think the automobile era was a mistake, but that article was, for the most part. Private transportation has been around for as long as there are records; although at the beginning of that era shank's mare ...
  3. If it’s Broke, Then Fix It

by , 07-01-2014 at 06:56 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I know the old saw is “If it’s not broke, then don’t fix it,” and that isn’t bad advice, but people have made huge amounts of money changing things just because they want to. Then there are the products that were changed and soon left the scene. I recently told a bartender about a beer that he had never heard of, because it was “fixed” so l that it went out of production. Maybe you remember Tuborg. It is a Danish beer (link below), and in the early 1970’s it started shipping to the U.S.A., and it ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized