View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. On Fascism

by , 10-01-2017 at 08:08 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Strength through unity
    Versus
    "Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too." Voltaire in his Essay on Tolerance

Fascism is a word that is thrown around without people even thinking about what it means. It started as an Italian word for a political group, and it derived from the Latin word ‘fasces’, which was the bundle of rod from which an axe protruded. Until Mussolini started using the term it could have been applied to any political ...

Updated 10-02-2017 at 04:10 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Truly Free

by , 08-14-2017 at 05:44 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    "I wholly disapprove of what you say and will defend to the death your right to say it"
    Voltaire

Today I have seen a few things suggesting that NAZI's should be muzzled. Voltaire gave my response to that. When we start banning totalitarianists, we agree with them, because they want everything banned except what they like.

In an ideal world everyone would agree with me, not because I would have forced them, but because they would have seen ...

Updated 08-14-2017 at 05:48 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Free Speech For All

by , 11-21-2015 at 09:09 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    If no one ever said anything of value, then it wouldn't make any difference whether there was free speech. And if I were the only one in the world who knew any accurate information, then free speech would be pointless, because everyone except me would just make noise, rather than making real, useful speech. But it is possible that any and every person (almost) might utter something of value, so allowing free speech is a good idea. Please understand that this is my opinion; there are some people ...