View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Who Are the Guilty?

by , 11-06-2017 at 04:34 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    why faked data

I noticed an article today that claimed that the Ozone Hole in the atmosphere over Antarctica was smaller. I read the article, actually skimmed it, and it quickly became clear that whoever wrote it didn’t know anything about the matter, and hadn’t bothered checking old files. I made a few comments, and then left it. But I started wondering again who or what is having articles like that one and the things about Anthropogenic Climate Change written and ...
  2. Old-Fashioned Conspiracy

by , 01-11-2016 at 05:52 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I recently thought of the Piso Christianity Conspiracy again. This is one that hasn’t caught on, yet, but it is as silly as most conspiracy theories are. I first encountered this in the early or mid-1990’s on Prodigy Services bulletin boards. The author of this, Roman Piso, claims that his ancestors invented Christianity in an attempt to avoid more rebellions by the Jews, and to some degree they seem to have been successful, because after the Rebellion of 70 CE the Jews didn’t start another war ...

Updated 01-12-2016 at 10:15 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Why Conspiracies?

by , 12-30-2014 at 09:02 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Why do people believe conspiracy theories? Apparently there are several reasons, but most reasons amount to intellectual laziness, by which I mean that people don't bother thinking about the matter but just accept something that fits what they want to believe without examining the facts. You are entitled to your own opinions but not your own facts.

Within the last few days I ran into a few people who still believe that the 9/11 attacks were not what has been presented by the investigators. ...
  4. Pollution

by , 07-24-2014 at 06:44 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I recently saw posters looking for canvassers to collect money for Clean Water Action. I suspect that this is a scam, because in the U.S.A. surface water is cleaner now than it was before Europeans started to settle here. There are a few particular places where the water is polluted, but just fifty years ago much of the surface water was polluted. I still wouldn’t drink from most streams, but that’s because I know what giardia is, and there are problems around farms and after rain storms, but there ...

Updated 07-24-2014 at 07:11 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Detecting and Countering Conspiracy Theories

by , 06-21-2014 at 11:10 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    To a large degree conspiracies are by and for people who are too lazy to think or who lack the intellectual capacity to think. Another large reason for such things is that those spreading or believing the theories lack the background information necessary for understanding that the theories are baseless. Then there are the conspiracy theories that were created as jokes but were taken seriously by some people. And I must think someone I would not speak to for reminding me to write this. Yesterday, ...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast