View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Fact Versus Opinion, What's the difference?

by , 02-15-2016 at 09:47 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I wonder whether one needs the same level of confidence for speculations, opinions, beliefs, prejudices, etc. as for facts. It has been my understanding for as long as I remember that it was fine to opine as one wanted to, regardless of actual fact, but when one wants to assert something as fact, then one must have evidence and logic.

For example, several months ago I opined that there was a good chance that the 2016 presidential election might come out like the 1860 election in ...

Updated 02-18-2016 at 05:26 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Fact and Conjecture

by , 03-14-2015 at 02:11 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Fact
    1. Something that actually exists; reality; truth:
    Your fears have no basis in fact.
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fact?s=t

Scientific fact
    Any observation that has been repeatedly confirmed and accepted as true; any scientific observation that has not been refuted.
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/scientific+fact

Conjecture
    1. The formation or expression of an opinion or theory without sufficient ...
  3. Conspiracies Real and Imagined

by , 06-04-2014 at 03:06 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    These things came to mind again today. It appears that Americans, at least, and probably the rest of the world prefer to believe fiction rather than plain facts. Mark Twain noted that “A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.” And that is being demonstrated every day. I guess that lies are more entertaining; they certainly aren’t more believable. I regularly hear people talking about conspiracy theories as if they were fact, and I suppose that they actually ...
  4. Fact And Fiction

by , 10-26-2013 at 01:55 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Fact and fiction are often presented as opposites. Fiction is made up, fabrication, lie, etc., but the real difference is in the attitude of the teller. Many things have been presented as fact that are far from being actual fact. It might actually be that the majority of things presented as fact are not factual, but it is difficult to tell the difference. It is interesting that I just watched the truly strange video “Massachusetts” by Ylvis, a Norwegian band; it is a satirical praise of Massachusetts, ...
    Tags: fact, fiction, lies
    Categories
    Uncategorized