View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Public Domain

by , 03-14-2016 at 04:38 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    So who really owns what is in the public domain, and I am referring to intellectual property? This should be a question, because no one (no individual or group of individuals) owns what is in the public domain. This came up because of a discussion of something that J. K. Rowling is writing in regard to North American wizarding. She takes some terms from American Indian spiritual practices, and some people seem to be very upset about that. It is my opinion that Rowling has as much right to use such ...
  2. Culture Versus Nature

by , 10-30-2015 at 03:44 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Recently, I made the mistake of joining an online discussion of religious exemptions to certain laws; discussions such as, whether a baker should be legally required to make a wedding cake for a gay couple getting married, if his religion finds that abhorrent. Or whether American Indians should be able to hunt eagles for their feathers as part of their religious activity. Even with people who are quite open-minded this is a potentially explosive subject. My opinion is that persons who have religious ...