View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Swallowing Lies

by , 08-27-2015 at 04:17 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    It is frightening how gullible most people are. That subject has come up a few times today, so I will honor it with a blog post. Apparently there were aliens on the Moon to greet Neil Armstrong, and there is an ancient alien base on the Moon. There are many websites that have detailed information about human and alien activities on the Moon and on Mars. Some of the information is perfectly serious; some might be legitimate data about those places, and some was clearly put together for humor. ...
    Tags: aliens, lies, mars, moon
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Satire Problem

by , 04-23-2014 at 05:01 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Satire has become very difficult to write, because actual events have become so absurd, and straight-faced statements are more absurd than anything I could dream up. This came to mind because I saw in the news that Republicans are suggesting that the U.S. should send troops to Ukraine. And I consider that to be insane.

Apparently those people don’t remember that Russia has roughly as many nuclear weapons as the U.S. has. While it would be nice if Russia were to pull their commandos ...
  3. An Argosy Bound To. . .

by , 03-13-2014 at 08:16 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)

Antonio wasn’t the only one whose ship had to come in. He aimed high, and he was farsighted. Yes, he was a speculator, but if it weren’t for people who were willing to try something, then we humans would still be following predators around in the hope of scaring them off their kills. And that was only one of the huge gambles that humans have made. I was just thinking about the Mars One idea. I don’t know how far it will go, but big gambles pay off big, if they come in. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Preparing for Contingencies, Part 1

by , 09-25-2013 at 08:50 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    The Earth is a wonderful place. It is the home of our species, and it is pleasant in innumerable ways, but we all know that the Earth is not formed in a way that maximizes utility, beauty, or anything. The nearly spherical shape and the axial tilt cause seasonal variations are annoying or worse. There are advantages in having changes in seasons, but we could manage it without having such great differences in the length of day and night. There may be people who think that I have this opinion because ...

Updated 09-25-2013 at 05:00 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized