View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. How Long

by , 08-30-2023 at 02:44 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    For several reasons, I sometimes wonder how long humans can live, and I also wonder whether death may be voluntary. In my limited experience, people often seem to have an innate sense for how long they will live, and they are relatively accurate, and that has led me to wonder how long humans can live. There was that Chinese herbalist, Li Ching-Yuen, who lived more than 250 years. And there was Old Tom Parr, an Englishman who lived 152 years. And there are others who were 150 years or older when ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Mortality

by , 09-09-2020 at 01:04 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Recently, someone wondered how people feel about mortality. I have written about that in the past, so I mostly just referred to those, but there a few parts of the question that I think deserve a little more consideration. One thing is that it is sometimes said that people start dying immediately after birth. I disagree with that, and I think that many medical experts would also disagree. Humans continue to develop after birth, and cells are replaced as long as people are healthy.

3. Alcohol and Equal Rights for All

by , 03-20-2019 at 09:41 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Humans have been consuming alcohol for at least as long as there have been humans, and there are good reasons to believe that the desire for more alcohol was the driving force behind the development of agriculture. Humans probably got their first tastes of alcohol from fallen fruit that naturally fermented. There's no way to tell for sure, but there are signs of ale, sort of, having been made from seeds about twenty-five thousand years ago, and it is generally accepted that agriculture developed ...
  4. Sustainability

by , 10-21-2018 at 04:48 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    After somewhat unproductive and unpleasant day, my mood was lifted a bit by an exchange the owner of a convenience store and his son, who usually runs it. It started when the older man asked me how I was, and in my normal fashion, I replied, "I don’t know, either."

"Oh, I have that problem, too. Sometimes I can't remember my name, who I am, anything."

"Oh no, I can remember just fine, I just don't know." (Actually, I hate those absurd ...
  5. Upper Limit

by , 07-19-2018 at 07:26 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    What is the upper limit of the human lifespan? I recently saw an article that concluded that there is no upper limit to the human lifespan, and I recalled that there had been something about the upper limit being about 300, because murder or accident will get you, if your body holds up that long. I’ll look at the actuarial calculations for that, if I can find them. There are incurable diseases, but eventually cures will also be conquered, and the only real medically related problem will be getting ...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast