View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. How to Complain

by , 05-18-2022 at 01:06 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Recently, I have experienced people complaining in ineffective ways. They had real, legitimate complaints to make, but they presented the complaints in ways that would insure that they would be ignored. In my youth I learned to expressing unhappiness and persuading people to change something to make it more acceptable to me are two different things.

Expressing unhappiness by screaming at someone may give some personal satisfaction, but it is unlikely to get the target of the rant ...
  2. Squeaky Wheels

by , 11-21-2014 at 09:19 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Simply complaining well is not enough, especially if one is dealing with government bureaucrats. Continued application of gentle pressure will eventually wear down even the hardest and firmest bureaucrat. It appears that my attempts to get the regional transit authority to train and supervise bus drivers might be going somewhere; either that, or they’re legal action against me. I got a phone call from one of the higher ups who just wanted me to repeat what I had already put into writing. After ...
  3. On Complaining, Considered as One of the Fine Arts

by , 11-12-2014 at 09:52 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    We know that it is our responsibility to engage in Civil Disobedience to force government to perform as it should, but there are NGO's, government authorities and government corporations that are used to carry out the functions that the government wants to put at arm's length. How should we deal with those? The answer is simple; they deserve the same treatment as any business corporation, and most of them should be spun off as private business. Like businesses, government owned enterprises have ...