View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Educational Shortcomings

by , 06-20-2017 at 04:09 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Educational systems seem to fail everyone in some significant way. Here in the U.S.A. elementary and secondary school teachers are generally under-trained and underpaid, so they arent fully prepared to teach children, and there are major problems with the curriculum they are expected to teach. The curriculum doesn't include many things that should be included, and it does include many things that are a waste of time.

One thing that I was thinking of was basic logic. Many people ...
  2. Eliminating Ignorance

by , 11-07-2015 at 07:44 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    One Scintilla At a Time

Earlier today I saw the headline: New York is investigating Exxon Mobil for allegedly misleading the public about climate change. My comment when I shared it on Facebook was: I'm glad I'm not paying for this witch-hunt, because nothing will be proven, but it is possible that it will be shown how questionable some of the so-called science is. But this is nothing compared to some reporting on actual scientific papers.

For one example, you ...
  3. In Search of Ignorance

by , 09-16-2015 at 02:46 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    This is my reply to a column in the Massachusetts Daily Collegian that I read while having lunch near the University of Massachusetts. http://dailycollegian.com/2015/09/15...ime-and-money/

Mr Pappas, I found your column "Get rid of gen-ed courses that cost time and money" interesting in several ways, and I might be able to assist you in a small way. You are completely right that Gen-Ed requirements don't lead toward your faster completion of a degree program in business, ...

Updated 09-17-2015 at 04:38 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. On Ignorance

by , 09-11-2015 at 09:55 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    In these modern times ignorance has been winning against knowledge and science. Stupidity is more admired than intelligence. Fallacy is more common than logic. Maybe Im just getting crotchety in my middle age, but I find it absurd that ignorant people hold their ignorance with pride and expect other people to treat their misunderstandings about the world and what is in it as if they were actual facts.

I started thinking about this in regard to an interview that Trump had with Hugh ...
  5. Detecting Propaganda for Fun and Profit

by , 04-29-2014 at 04:10 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    On another forum to which I belong there recently was a question about propaganda. A request was made for information about how to write propaganda. After some initial comments about advertising and ordinary public relations writing. People started suggesting real world examples, such as the jingoism and appeals to greatness that Hitler and others have used. And it was pointed out the heavy-handed propaganda that some have used isnt as effective as the subtle propaganda that has become popular ...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast