View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Maybe We Are Alone

by , 06-17-2020 at 09:37 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I ran across another article about the probability of finding other intelligent life forms in the universe. Alas, it is behind a pay wall, and I do not wish to sign up for something else. But the abstract does not mention mitochondria nor does the article from which I learned of it, so I would guess that it did not consider how difficult it might be for a single cell lifeforms to take mitochondria, or some similar bacteria, and make it symbiotic.

I think that the ideas about how ...
  2. Is there Intelligent Life

by , 10-08-2019 at 06:45 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    A few hours ago, I had a brilliant thought. I decided that I should investigate it, before I try to capitalize on it. Alas, I learned that others have had very similar ideas, so I can’t make all of the money from it. But I realized that there is a good reason that can explain why we haven’t encountered any intelligent alien life, yet. The reason is: mitochondria, a sort of bacteria that provide energy to the eukaryote cells. Mitochondria are symbiotic cells that have their own DNA. It is thought ...

Updated 10-08-2019 at 07:01 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Philosophy and Science of Time Travel

by , 09-12-2018 at 10:22 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Those of us in the Time Travel business frequently encounter people who are dubious about the possibility of Time Travel at other than the traditional rate, even though we having been using time travel for centuries, and the theoretical possibility was discovered long before that. Apparently, they have the idea that time has a sort of solid existence the way that matter appears to be solid (but that’s for another time). Time, like space, is separation. Space separates pieces of matter, while time ...

Updated 09-12-2018 at 10:26 AM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Judging Probabilities

by , 04-04-2014 at 09:27 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. (From “The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet” by Arthur Conan Doyle)

Doyle presented an interesting idea, but I have to take exception to it; although it may just be a result of how we think of probability. There are some things that are possible that are so improbable that they might as well be impossible. It is easy to look at normal probability distributions ...
  5. Many Worlds and the Assassination of JFK

by , 12-03-2013 at 09:47 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Now that it has been demonstrated that effects that were previously thought to exist on the Quantum scale also exist on the macro scale we will have to figure out how to use those effects. It is likely that the effects were first noticed in very small things, because it is easier to apply the conditions on very small things. There probably is a way to entangle the particles of a human with something else, but it will be more difficult than it was with a pair of diamonds. And how will we get one ...