View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Policing

by , 04-02-2023 at 05:52 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    In recent years there has been discussion regarding the funding of police. Some people seem to want to eliminate police, while others want them retained. My opinion is a little different. I want the police to enforce the laws, and I think that more police will be necessary for that. As it is, the police enforce those laws that they feel like enforcing for people they feel like working for. I have complained to the police several times over the past several years, but neither arrest nor prosecution ...
  2. More on Police Misconduct

by , 12-12-2014 at 10:40 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    There have been problems with police probably as long as there have been police, and some of the problems are significant. I just saw an article about two undercover California Highway Patrol officers threatening a group of people, at a demonstration against police brutality, with their firearms after the undercover cops had been recognized and one unmasked. Prior to the police had been inciting the group to loot buildings. Read the articles linked below. The police behavior is indefensible; they ...

Updated 12-12-2014 at 11:01 AM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Police Power

by , 12-06-2014 at 08:39 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    As a general matter I don’t protest police trying to do their jobs, but recent cases of Black people in Missouri and NY being killed by police officers seem to show that the legal ramifications of police killing people on the job is not considered as seriously as it should be. I am not someone who thinks that police should be prevented from doing their jobs, but there are legal responsibilities that they have; becoming a police officer does not exempt someone from any laws; it puts more legal responsibilities ...

Updated 12-06-2017 at 07:28 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized