View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Word Abuse

by , 03-05-2023 at 06:05 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less.'. From Alice in Wonderland by Charles Dodson, AKA Lewis Carroll

One fundamental element of language is that the words have the same meanings for everyone using that language. On the other hand, metaphorical and ironic uses of words are common and are meaningful, and languages evolve, in part, by people using words in different ways. Some people use words ...
  2. Edicts versus Laws

by , 02-23-2021 at 05:40 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Edicts versus Laws

Article II of the U.S. Constitution specifies that the president “faithfully carry out the acts of Congress", and it also mentions that the president carries out foreign policy and is commander in chief of the military, but the constitution does not give the president the power to make law on his own. Regardless of what powers the president has, as of Feb. 2021, there have been 14,014 executive orders made, according to the Federal Register. https://www.federalregister.gov/pres...ecutive-orders ...

Updated 02-23-2021 at 11:38 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Rule of Law

by , 11-17-2020 at 09:33 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    It has come to my attention that some people are proposing that Trump not be prosecuted for his criminal acts in the name of unity. While it is preferable that citizens of all opinions should support the government, but it is even more important that people realize that laws are serious, and they exist for everyone, and that means that no one is above the law. It is very important that no one be “above the law”, but in the past presidents have gotten a pass; that has been especially true for presidents. ...
    Tags: trump, tyranny
    Categories
    Uncategorized