View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Ignorance Over All Else

by , 06-21-2022 at 04:46 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I was going to write about the predilection of people in scientific positions to ignore facts and follow things that were common beliefs before the science was discovered. Then I saw a column from the Boston Globe regarding a push to change the name of George Washington University, because George Washington had owned slaves, and that reminded me of the move by ignorant bigots to give “reparations” to people whose ancestors may have been slaves.

I understand the disapproval of slavery, ...
  2. Reparations and Equal Protection

by , 06-28-2021 at 05:48 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    As we all know, the Equal Protection of the Fourteenth Amendment:
    All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction ...
  3. Myths of America

by , 06-19-2021 at 09:52 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    The U.S.A. Is a land of competing myths and myths that shift over the years. The myths also vary by region and with ethnic identification. Even at the beginning, there were two completing myths about what the U.S.A. was, or should have been.

Early on it was a matter of who one was. The merchants and thieves wanted independence, so they could run things as they wished, while the farmers, professional, and settled people people wanted set rules. But the Enlightenment was new, and many ...
  4. When Slavery Ended

by , 06-12-2020 at 08:54 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I might have heard of Junteenth is the past, but I do not recall it. Today I heard, or read, of it several times, so I looked it up. It appears to be the anniversary of when a military officer announced the Emancipation Proclamation in Galveston, Texas on June 19, 1865. Apparently, some people got the impression that it was the end of slavery in the U.S.A.. Alas, they were mistaken. Slavery ended in the U.S.A. On December 5, 1865, when the Thirteenth Amendment was ratified.

There ...