View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Who profits from climate change alarmism

by , 09-16-2023 at 03:52 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Consider businesses that have grown from the climate change alarmism. They range from making electric cars to making or selling solar panels to windmill arrays, and there are other companies that are looking toward sea level rise, the melting of Greenland’s ice, and other changes happening as results of climate change. There will be more, and there are some who are pushing for restrictions on economic activity because of assertions that those activities caused climate change. Like most social changes, ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. On Civil Disobedience

by , 09-18-2021 at 02:19 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Today I started thinking about the people planning a march in Washington in regard to the attack on the Houses of Congress. The Duty of Civil Disobedience implies the opposite, when that is appropriate, and that would include non-governmental action against people attacking the country and its institutions.

I have no trouble imagining citizens of the U.S.A. being unhappy with some actions of the government, but I can’t understand people attacking the process of elections and asserting ...
  3. Big Lies and Fake News

by , 06-24-2018 at 03:48 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    A lie told often enough becomes truth.
    Nicolai Lenin

The expression was coined by Adolf Hitler, when he dictated his 1925 book Mein Kampf, about the use of a lie so "colossal" that no one would believe that someone "could have the impudence to distort the truth so infamously." from Mein Kampf

“...a deceitful man will always find plenty who are ready to be deceived.” from Machiavelli's, The Prince, note 2, at ch. XVIII

The ...
  4. Propaganda Techniques

by , 01-11-2018 at 09:19 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    This started as just being about exaggeration, but it became more general. Enjoy

Part of the zeitgeist of these times is that the people producing news coverage exaggerate most of the time. It isn't enough for them that there is a snowstorm coming; not now it is "Bomb Cyclone". I don't know if it simply became part of the American psyche, or if it's just imitating Trump, but if there's a more shocking way to put something, then the people producing news coverage put it that ...

Updated 01-11-2018 at 09:23 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Exaggeration and Other Techniques of Propaganda

by , 01-11-2018 at 09:16 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Part of the zeitgeist of these times is that the people producing news coverage exaggerate most of the time. It isn't enough for them that there is a snowstorm coming; not now it is "Bomb Cyclone". I don't know if it simply became part of the American psyche, or if it's just imitating Trump, but if there's a more shocking way to put something, then the people producing news coverage put it that way. It has been a fact for decades that "controversy sells papers". So they tried ...