View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Institutionalized Ignorance

by , 01-14-2019 at 05:13 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    A few days ago I was horrified to read the James Watson, Nobel Laureate for having discovered DNA, is being condemned for having made comments that are alleged to be racist; although there has been no inquiry into the veracity of his comments.

Specifically, Doctor Watson is cited as having said, “There’s a “difference on the average between blacks and whites on IQ tests,” he said. “I would say the difference is ... genetic.” He also said he took no joy in his conclusion. The situation ...
  2. The Races Of Humans

by , 09-15-2014 at 08:42 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Within the last few days it occurred to me that I might have been mistaken; there might be more than one race within the human species, but skin color isn’t relevant. I guess the seed was planted when someone asked me about the Blood Type Diet. But the race determiner isn’t blood type; it is the Rh factor. Then I found a website that suggested this also http://rhnegativebloodsecrets.blogsp...nderthals.html .
    This site makes some assertions that may not be ...
  3. Improving Humanity

by , 07-12-2014 at 10:42 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I realize that improving humanity would be a matter of opinion, but it can be interesting to think about improving a complicated organism. First throw out everything that you have ever read about improving the human race. Some of it might actually be reasonable, but most such things are just wrong. Writers of fiction use improved humans as plot devices, and some scientists test theories by thinking of the implications.

There are good reasons for many of the genetic disorders that ...

Updated 07-12-2014 at 01:48 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Rates of aging

by , 05-20-2014 at 04:38 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Aging is a more interesting subject than critical judgment, so I'll forget the other one for now. Have you noticed that some people look old before they hit forty, while others look youthful into their seventies? Even more interesting, some parts of bodies age faster than others. We all know about telomers, but this link tells of methylation of genes, as part of the aging process in addition to stopping the activity of genes, and it also tells of differential aging rates. http://io9.com/scientists-discover-p...ffn-1449085569 ...
  5. The End of Racism

by , 01-11-2014 at 10:57 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I don't think much of racism mostly because it is not a valid way to classify humans. But before I go further into that, there are a couple of things that I have to clear up. First, what is a race?

Whether one is considering animals or plants, a race is a subspecies that is separated from others of that species physically and by some genetic distance. Subspecies are on their way to becoming a separate species, but genetic drift has not yet separated them that much. An example of subspecies ...

Updated 01-11-2014 at 11:34 AM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast