View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Ocean Currents

by , 02-12-2024 at 04:14 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    There were several articles in my news feed about the Atlantic Ocean currents collapsing. It will be a disaster when the ocean currents collapse, because that will mean that the Earth has stopped rotating. Apparently, some people are pushing the idea that ocean currents are caused by something other than the Coriolis effect acting on the oceans.

The ocean currents exist, because the water is not firmly attached to the solid Earth. At the Equator, the surface of the Earth is moving ...
  2. Something to Worry About

by , 06-14-2023 at 03:24 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    It is possible to sue anyone for anything. Fortunately, the courts will dismiss many suits that are pointless, losers from day one. For example, there were the people on Lesbos who sued about the abuse of the term Lesbian. They got their hearing bur lost: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-g...00009920080722

I recall some farmers somewhere having sued NASA for having made holes in the firmament that resulted in ...
  3. Pseudo-Science

by , 08-23-2018 at 02:31 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I have observed that while most people choose purely (or mostly) mental constructs as the objects of their religious type thinking to believe without evidence, and there is an advantage in opting for the non-physical, because there is discernable evidence that might show you are wrong, and one can think without the restrictions of rules of logical and evidence. But people have put forth many things that simply are not true and claimed that they were scientifically true, even though there is physical, ...
  4. Geo-engineering

by , 08-02-2017 at 11:17 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I read the news today, oh boy. I ran across this article suggesting that there should be geo-engineering of the atmosphere to reverse anthropogenic global warming. https://www.seeker.com/earth/climate...88798911141629
    This isn't the first or only article or paper about the matter. I remember reading about ways to cool the Earth as far back as the 1970's. Unfortunately, it would ...
  5. Political Correctness and the Climate

by , 05-20-2017 at 03:17 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Among a wide swath of Americans there are several topics about which disagreement is not permitted; these include: race, gender, religion, disabilities, war, trade, crime, punishment, drugs, climate change, and a variety of other issues. The committee of political purity has looked at these matters and decreed that there is one single opinion permitted for these matters, and straying from the approved opinion is strictly forbidden. For most matters it is simply a matter of people with strong opinions ...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast