View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Unmarketting

by , 10-09-2022 at 03:37 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    We all know that the advertising and marketing businesses sell the worst things to the people who are least capable of understanding that they are being robbed. There is nothing new about convincing people to pay for things that will do them no good at all. Socrates ranted against useless products twenty five hundred years, and in thanks, the leaders of Athens ordered him to drink a poison hemlock brew. In the end, Socrates was dead, and written language, for one thing, was more entrenched. The ...
  2. Restoring The Middle

by , 05-16-2013 at 04:15 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Over the decades I have noticed a lot of loose talk about the “Middle Class”. Most recently I read something by a computer geek who claims that computers eliminated the Middle Class. My immediate comment was that the MC was doomed to decline from its first moment. After further consideration, I realized that the problem is with definition. What has been called the MC since WW II may be near the middle of the socio economic spectrum, but is what was more accurately called the Working Class, and that ...