View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Where's the Hype

by , 05-08-2022 at 01:52 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    A skill that is nice to have is the ability to tell the difference between hype and facts. People often say “Follow the money.” and that is one of the best methods for determining which is what.

If you remember the bottled water campaign and followed the money before buying bottled water, then you would have learned that the campaign was from the marketing department of Nestles, and it had started shortly after Nestles had bought three bottled water companies in the U.S., so the ...
  2. Truthiness

by , 11-03-2017 at 06:49 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    "Believe nothing you hear, and only one half that you see." Various as far back as Alfred the Great

I have become a little dubious of the ability of many people to tell the difference between facts and fiction. I was going to title this ‘Truthiness’, but I found that truthiness’ has been redefined to mean something having the appearance of truth although it is not. That is part of the problem, but I am concerned with things that a simply not true at all, but people assert ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Making Money the Old-fashioned Way

by , 02-17-2015 at 04:12 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Someone I am acquainted with made an interesting suggestion. He said that he would turn me in as Joseph Mengele and collect the reward. I pointed out that I don’t look even a day over ninety years old, and he mentioned that some of Mengele’s experiments were with transplantation of flesh and he would have rejuvenated himself. Well he hasn’t tried it yet, so I looked up Mengele and learned that the body of a drowned man was identified as Mengele. I don’t know if they used DNA at the time, but there ...

Updated 02-17-2015 at 04:15 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized