View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Marching Morons

by , 09-22-2018 at 02:04 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    In the early 1950’s the great author Cyril M. Kornbluth wrote Marching Morons, a novella about a future society where the overwhelming majority of humans are morons, high end, but morons nonetheless. The world was actually run by the small percent of people of great intelligence and patience who ran everything and gave the morons the illusion that they were doing things.

The people who ran things eventually decided to make life easier and reduce the population by sending the plebeians ...
    Tags: kornbluth, satire
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Reversing Global Warming, part three

by , 06-15-2014 at 09:03 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    This is part three of a series of blog posts on reversing global warming. In the first part I proposed trying iron dust on the oceans to cause phytoplankton blooms that would eliminate atmospheric CO2, which would (in theory) reduce global warming. The second method would be to cut down on heating from the Sun. And this third part is about cheaper ways to reduce the amount of sunlight reaching the Earth.

In addition to the methods for shielding the Earth from the radiation from the ...
  3. Satire Problem

by , 04-23-2014 at 05:01 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Satire has become very difficult to write, because actual events have become so absurd, and straight-faced statements are more absurd than anything I could dream up. This came to mind because I saw in the news that Republicans are suggesting that the U.S. should send troops to Ukraine. And I consider that to be insane.

Apparently those people don’t remember that Russia has roughly as many nuclear weapons as the U.S. has. While it would be nice if Russia were to pull their commandos ...
  4. U. S. Politics After the End

by , 05-08-2013 at 08:08 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    The shape of government will change everywhere after the Great Pandemic will decrease population by 80%, and the politics involved with the governments will also change. Teasing apart the results of the changes is difficult, and it is likely that new elements will arise, but the general political culture of most countries would be unchanged, and that means that there will be cut-throat politics in the U.S. Just as one can read the political satires of Jonathan Swift from the early 18th centuries ...