View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Natural Cull

by , 06-09-2015 at 03:41 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    There seems to be an innate urge for young adults to do stupid things, and that may be an evolutionary tool. The urge to drive fast, drink in excess, etc. traditionally eliminated some of the most violent and stupidest people, and they enjoyed it. That may be a cold hearted way of looking at youthful folly, but evolution is cold-hearted. Over the long run, the fittest will survive more than the less fit, but there is a legitimate question as to whether human consciousness is messing with that through ...
  2. Silk Road

by , 06-01-2015 at 03:41 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I never paid any attention to Silk Road, when it was in business, because I had no interest, but I find the life sentence for Ross Ulbricht to be absurd. Silk Road was an instrument for facilitating trade.

The charges were: “narcotics trafficking; distribution of narcotics by means of the Internet; narcotics trafficking conspiracy; continuing criminal enterprise; conspiracy to aid and abet computer hacking; conspiracy to traffic in fraudulent identity documents; and money laundering ...

Updated 06-01-2015 at 05:33 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Police Power

by , 12-06-2014 at 08:39 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    As a general matter I don’t protest police trying to do their jobs, but recent cases of Black people in Missouri and NY being killed by police officers seem to show that the legal ramifications of police killing people on the job is not considered as seriously as it should be. I am not someone who thinks that police should be prevented from doing their jobs, but there are legal responsibilities that they have; becoming a police officer does not exempt someone from any laws; it puts more legal responsibilities ...

Updated 12-06-2017 at 07:28 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. The Art Of Murder

by , 05-29-2014 at 02:33 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    There was a thread on another forum that I follow about killing a character in a book and getting away with it. The character in question was a musician in popular music, so my first thought was a drug overdose. Then I realized that there are many ways to do that same thing. Some of the methods are as relatively easy, while some are difficult and even messier.

We all know the old standards, loose stones on the castle walls, leaky flues, and such. But some of the most interesting ...