View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Determinism and Time Travel

by , 04-25-2020 at 08:35 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Another part of the discussion of Equal Rights and freedom is whether people are capable of making free choices. Do we have free will?

If our actions, thoughts, feelings, etc. are determined does it make any difference whether we have equal legal rights; our rights would be restricted to what had been determined.

One of the paradoxes of time travel is the possibility of reversing the sequence of cause and effect, and the cause and effect relationship is fundamental ...
  2. Minding Business

by , 05-25-2019 at 02:06 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I sometimes find myself wondering why someone isn’t minding his or her own business. And I usually to do that, but The Valley Advocate got me to do otherwise. This preference hasn’t shown up in my blog often, but blogs are for people to vent their opinions. The Feature Article in the paper was about physician assisted suicide, which is an excellent example of people taking responsibility for themselves. Then when I opened the paper the first heading I saw was an opinion piece about “healthy food ...
  3. Illusion of Free Will

by , 01-22-2017 at 05:46 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    The concept that humans are able to freely make decisions and act upon them is quite common, and it appears to have existed for many thousands of years, at least. On the surface it often appears that people are making their own decisions, and so on, but on a deeper level, human activities probably are controlled by events and causes that are outside the control of those persons.

A strong argument can be made that everything that happens is the result of earlier causes; although it ...
  4. Language Change

by , 11-01-2016 at 08:14 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    At some time in the past I wrote about the perception of the passage of time and subjective idea of how long is a time. That matter came to mind again today in regard to the evolution of language.

Many things change over time, and language is one. I am far from being old, but in my few years the English language has already changed significantly. I don’t know whether they are being suggestive, but many women will reply, “I’m good.” When asked “How are you?"

Not ...