View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Inflation 2022

by , 11-15-2022 at 06:27 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I don’t often have much conversation with clerks in stores, but yesterday evening, the check out clerk in a CVS apologized for the inflation. I briefly explained that it wasn’t his fault, that it is due to policy for the Federal Reserve and the Treasury Department. He then said that CVS sometimes raises prices in anticipation of price hikes.

We spent a while trying to get each other to change his mind. He had a set of facts, and I know the underlying reasons, so neither of us changed ...
  2. Fight For a Dollar That's Worth Something

by , 04-23-2015 at 05:54 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I have noticed a couple of mentions of people trying to get the minimum wage raised to $15 per hour. They are fighting for the wrong thing. What they want are jobs that pay a reasonable amount. Raising the minimum wage that much would just make the dollar lose a lot of value very quickly, so that in a few years the fifteen dollar an hour wage would be worth less that whatever the minimum wage is now. The moves that would achieve their goals more readily would be to eliminate the minimum wage and ...

Updated 04-25-2017 at 07:50 AM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized