Blog Comments

Thanks Guys

Virgil we survived New York and loved it - we will be back.

Wow 12 years - there is nothing like finally getting it finished is there. The next thing I do will be for pure enjoyment.
    Fantastic on your accomplishment! You obviously are a very disciplined person. I got my master's at night one or two classes at a time and it took me twelve years, but there were some semesters there I didn't go. I think I was thirty-nine when I finished out. I've never had the desire to go back though every once in a while i wish I could attend a class on on a particular author I would love to go deeper into. And frankly I wouldn't even want that if I had access to a good research library near my home.

I had wondered what happened to you. You came to New York City for a vacation the same week my wife and I left for Kazakhstan two years ago. It was unfortunate timing. And then you disappeared for two yearfs and I wondered if you even survived New York. Thank God you did.
    Jo, that is a darn long haul. Good for you! Bast wishes!
    Congratulations!
    ten people??! ...
    that is hard to believe! well, i kno i'm slow, but i am finally looking at your blog site.

i know u like Twilight, but i don't remember asking if you liked her other book, The Host.
    See Virgil to busy to spell check
    Tell me about it. I am way overloaded too. This is just the nature of modern life. We multi task and interconnect in so many ways. There are up sides though. While it is hectic, we are living life to the fullest if you ask me. Though a nice quiet peaceful day. My wife just asked me moments ago how I am coping with 4 and a half hours of sleep a night. I have no idea, though I do sleep in the car pool on days I don't drive. Oh I consider my one hour three times a week with no phone at the gym my "me" time.

Now I'm known for typos and misspellings. But you have a hum dinger there:
    2. I will consult my dairy more.
    You're going to consult cows more? What advice do you expect to get, except "moo".

I think you mean diary.
    And not just women. It's easy for men to fill up their time schedule too. Some people suck away their days by feeling obliged to watch a whole number of TV shows every week, losing time to do other things.
    I like to be busy, but in a good way- gardening, working, walking, socializing, etc. Then the time for myself doesn't seem so... lazy. Of course, being busy is only good if you're doing things you enjoy.

Good action plan!
    Ah the modern woman. Sold on the goods that an active busy life brings contentment. I believe this all started in the early 1960s as a revolt on the concept of women being only made for a life in the kitchen (see any episode of The Donna Reed Show or Father Knows Best). But like any good idea got expanded well beyond its original intent. It's a matter of sorting out the priorities versus the time wasters abd it varies from person to person. Hope this helps.
    Thanks Virgil I like to keep busy but I have been feeling the pinch of late.

mtpspur you are right it was really creepy. You are absolutely right about Mrs Stroker there is an introduction at the start of the movie telling the watcher all about it.

BeccaT we are onto it. We often go to the movies after we have read a book. We will be going to see The Reader this weekend. It is a great idea
    Oh, here's an idea- Book AND a movie club . We do that here with my friends, pick a book that's been made into a movie, we all read the book, then gather to watch the film and discuss how it relates to the books, the changes between the two, etc.
    I always thought Nosferatu was very creepy. Saw it back in the 70s in North Dakota of all places on late night tv. Mrs. Stoker attempted to get all copies destroyed as part of the settlement for unauthorized use of Bram's book but thankfully she did not succeed. Just a twinge of guilt over seeing a outlawed classic.
    Well, you certainly lead a full life Jo. Everyone of your activities seem wonderful. A ovie club? That's an interesting idea. Now I got this picture of you and your friends in this little mini theatre in your basement. Just like a movie star's home. I think there's a thread out there on discussing movies. Janine is very knowledgable.
    Jo, thank goodness you and your family are safe! This is horrible. Come on Rain!!
    That is very sad indeed.

I sure hope that the badly needed rain comes soon.
    Thanks Virgil it has risen to over 108 today with people still missing. Lets hope the temps stay low and the rain comes.
    I'm afraid that the death toll has more than doubled that Jo as I saw the news moments ago. It is sad. I wish you the best.
    It never ceases to amaze me that even though we have all read the same book we all take something different away from them.
    That is what I love about a discussion on a book. I don't join any clubs, though, because I kind of zig-zag my way around books, and don't really read one fully at a time, you know? (except in the case of Dead Souls, but that's another story).

Glad you're enjoying your book club, Jo!
    That sounds great Jo. I've wanted to join a book club before lit net, but this forum has satisfied my need to discuss what I read. Though I may not participate every month I love our book club forum here, and we now have a quarterly Shakespeare plays and every so often Poetry book club, and of course my dear DH Lawrence short story discussions. Yes getting together is great. Too bad that by internet we are so distant and rarely see our faces.

So was this month a discussion of Shakespeare's Twelfth Night? How did that go?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast