View RSS Feed

Books

1. My October Reading

I am not one for seasonal reading but when it comes to October I do like to embrace my dark roots and select books that are Halloween appropriate in some form. My selections are not necessarily always horror strictly speaking, but at least have some dark, or disturbing element to them.

So this is my October line up:

American Pyscho by Bret Easton Ellis

Handling the Undead by John Ajvide Lindqvist

Death with Interuptions by Jose Saramago
    Categories
    Books
  2. Hidden Treasures

I had finally finished the monstrous book this morning, The Autobiography of Henry VIII: With Notes by His Fool, Will Somers: A Novel by Margaret George, which was quite interesting I thought, and after that I decided I wanted to read Club Dumas by Arturo Pérez-Reverte, so I dig it out of the bottom of the stacks of books upon the floor in my bedroom, and whenever I get ready to start a new book I always like to gage about how long the chapters are.

So I am flipping through the first
    Categories
    Books
  3. Books, Books and More Books

I got to go to the annual book giveaway which one of the libraries around here has, and so here is the list of books I got.

Far too many, have no idea where I am going to put them.

Two Years Before the Mast: A Sailor's Life at Sea by Richard Henry Dana Jr.

The New Oxford Book Of Sixteenth Century Verse by Emrys Jones

The Hallowed Isle by Diana L. Paxson

American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis

A Ship's Tale
    Categories
    Books
  4. Some Musings on Margaret Atwood

First off I want to start out by saying that I do genuinely like Margaret Atwood, I consider her to be among my favorite authors, I do not deny that she is a very skilled writer, and creates some very interesting stories. I posses several of her books, read a number of them and looking forward to continuing to do so.

But with that being said, I do find myself shall we say in disagreement, or at odds with her at times, and certainly I have enjoyed some of her works more then others.
    Categories
    Books
  5. My Gods Are Better Than Your God

I mentioned a while back how I was enamoring myself within Ancient Greek, and as part of that I was rereading "The Odyssey" of which I am now finished with, but I was reading it as part of a discussion for an online book group in which the discussion of the book is still taking place.

One of the things of which I have noticed is that a couple individuals in the course of the discussion bring up Christianity, as a comparison to the Ancient Greek religion and the differences
    Categories
    Books
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast