View RSS Feed

Halls of the Dark Muse

1. Unindependence Day!

Needless to say I have decided that I will no longer be celebrating the 4th of July aka Independence Day. In our house we started referring to it as National BBQ Day. I had actually come to this idea before it became an actual poplar movement. I think it is kind of cool that as soon as I thought of doing this, everyone started talking about doing the same thing online. But me reasons are slightly different than that of most people.

The majority of people who are talking about boycotting ...
    Categories
    Random Musings
  2. There and Gone and Back Again

Yes it has been a long time, and a lot has happened, but I am still alive, I did not fall into a black hole, and in spite of my many efforts to summon Cthulhu I have not become lost in the vast abyss. It is possible though that I have fallen through a rabbit hole or two and had to attempt to navigate a mad mad world. And maybe for a while I have lingered in the land of the lotus eaters.

So now I am going to attempt to re-enter reality...or was I in reality before and I am now attempting ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. I Am Probably a Sexist

There is a fairly common trend I have begun to notice. Oftentimes I will read a book of which I will really enjoy, and out of curiosity I will read other reviews, comments, critiques of said book to discover that the book is criticized for being sexist and my natural reflex reaction to such claims is to roll my eyes and think the people are being ridiculously oversensitive. It is true that when I am really enraged in a story and think the book is well crafted, and has a great plot, I am oblivious ...
    Categories
    Books
  4. Summer Reading Review

Never Cry Wolf by Farley Mowat

This is a novelization of Mowat's real life accounts of his time he spent in the Arctic studying a group of wolves. During the period when a lot of anti-wolf hate really started up wolves were being blamed for causing a sudden drop in the caribou population. There where claims that wolves would slaughter entire heards for the pure joy of killing. Mowat was sent to access just how much of a nuisance the wolves were. But when Mowat arrived he soon discovered ...
    Categories
    Books
  5. Out With The New And In With Old

I am currently reading Wilderness Tips which is a short story collection by Margaret Atwood, and in one of the stories there was this quote:

"An interest in clothes of the present is frivolity, an interest in clothes of the past is archaeology"

I was struck by how ironically true these words are, and it is funny to think of that way.

I have little to no interest in fashion. I don't follow or care about what is trendy, hip, cool, modern, in ...
    Categories
    Quotations