Blog Comments

  1. Dark Muse's Avatar
    That is an interesting point about the idea of women characters often being used as a way to prop up male characters. As I indicated with H.G wells as long as I think the story is good, I could happily read a book which had an entirely, or predominately male cast as it were. I usually relate better to the male characters than the women anyway honestly. But it would be interesting to read a book with predominately female characters in which there was not any romance, or love-interest.

    Oftentimes books that are written by women authors featuring female characters annoy me more than the books that get criticized as being sexist. Perhaps it is in part because the author is trying too hard to create that positive, strong female role model. It would be nice to read a book featuring a female character who is indeed very humanly flawed and whose life does not revolve around finding love.

    In regards to the rape issue. I can understand where you are coming from and the point you are making but as someone who is genuinely interested in history, I think it would be naive to write a work of HF where you just pretend like rape was not very much a fact of that time period and life in that time. It is an acknowledgement of things which actually happened. I would not want to read some idealized, romanticized version of history where all the violence and bad things are swept under the rug, so not to offend anyone's delicate sensibilities.
  2. TheFifthElement's Avatar
    You see this:
    [QUOTE]and for me in a way I find it kind of refreshing to read a book in which there is not this need to create some romantic story line as a way to make the book more interesting, or appealing to women readers. [/]
    Is a classic 'sexist' comment and, perhaps, the crux of the misunderstanding about sexism in books and the reason many women rail against the portrayal of women in books (e.g. solely there to prop up male characters, to add love interest or sexual interest or sexual exploitation) or the portrayal of books for women. In fact your whole post sums it up in a roundabout kind of way. Just because you're a women doesn't mean you're interested in romance. Women manage to have whole lives filled with action, activity, intrigue, exploits and dramas which have nothing to do with men or the domestic sphere. So why do these things not exist, or seem so hard to find, in literature (and movies)? Interestingly in the movies they are now starting to understand that you can take a character which has been written as a man and cast a woman in the role and there is no need to make any changes because, you know what: women are people too. Flawed and interesting, just like men. Just poorly represented, typecast and, often, dismissed. I think this is also a problem with the idea of the 'strong, independent female role model'. I'm not too fussed about an idealistic representation of women, but a realistic and representative one would be nice. The issue with rape in books is that it's often there for male titillation, and contributes (in a roundabout way, as lots of things do) to the ongoing representation of women as being for male consumption and male desire being the primary appetite being served rather than historical accuracy.
    Updated 01-29-2016 at 12:51 PM by TheFifthElement
  3. stephofthenight's Avatar
    What a cutie!
  4. qimissung's Avatar
    Well, the whole Hunger Games trilogy seems a bit of a mirror image of a lot of things that are going on in our culture right now, with the growing divide between the wealthy and the poor and the shrinking of the middle class, and the excesses of the 1%. I'm interested in looking decent and even well-dressed (by my standards) when I leave the house. That in no way means that I have a sense of style from this or any other age because sadly I do not. I look at the designers as artists, because that is really what they are. But people who are interested in only wearing clothes that have a designer label-not interesting. I do not want a Kate Spade bag-by the way, here's an interesting read:

    http://www.slate.com/articles/busine...obscenely.html


    Or a Coach bag-why do people even think they're attractive? Or Jimmy Choo shoes, etc., etc. But as with the open design of most houses today with their stainless steel appliances and granite counter tops, these are all markers of success. I have different markers, but on the whole people are heavily influenced by the culture around them. It's hard to escape the pull of it's gravity. I like the quote (and I loved Oryx and Crake). I think there's some truth to that, but mostly if that's ALL one is interested in or if people are insistent on using that as a judgement on others, then I definitely find that shallow. And in the case of the latter, I have just two words for you. But as to the archaeology aspect of it, here's a quote from ancient Rome: "Vestis virum reddit." Or "Clothes make the man," (Quintilianus). So it's also a perception that's been around a long, long time, just as has the clash between the classes.
    Updated 08-28-2015 at 10:40 AM by qimissung
  5. Dark Muse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by North Star
    I read this, chuckled and agreed with some things said.
    And then I continued reading The Iliad.
    Enjoy the reading
  6. Dark Muse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EvoWarrior5
    Hello Dark Muse.

    I also quite like that quote. It is nicely phrased and has some humour in it. I have yet to read any novels by Atwood, I read one or two of her stories though. I do have Oryx & Crake in my book case but have not read it yet. I want to, because I have heard highly positive things of her and quite enjoyed the story/stories I read.

    To respond to what you say about The Hunger Games, it has been a while since I have read them so I have to ask: are you sure they "make fun" of frivolous people? What I feel like would be more fitting to say is that they ("they" being Katniss and her surroundings because of the mode of narration) look upon the frivolous people of the Capitol with amazement and disgust because of their habits and what they can afford. Because of the state of poverty district 12 and most other districts are in, I find it weird to imagine them proper making fun of the fact that the Capitol is swimming in money, food and clothing while they have to hunt to get enough food together. What is your perception on this, since you are reading them right now?

    Have fun reading, by the way!

    Evo
    I consider Atwood to be one of my favorite writers though it is true I do have a hate/love relationship with some of her books. Some of the things she writes I think are really, really good but at the same time some of her books fall a bit flat with me, or at least I fail to connect with. But she is worth reading I think. I really enjoyed Oryx and Crake..

    In regards to the Hunger Games yes, I think you are right about the characters. I do believe that Katniss does respond more with a mix of disdain, disgust, and complete awe. More aptly I should have said that the author (and perhaps her audience as well) is making fun and being satirical of that portion of society that is overly concerned with fashion.
  7. North Star's Avatar
    I read this, chuckled and agreed with some things said.
    And then I continued reading The Iliad.
  8. EvoWarrior5's Avatar
    Hello Dark Muse.

    I also quite like that quote. It is nicely phrased and has some humour in it. I have yet to read any novels by Atwood, I read one or two of her stories though. I do have Oryx & Crake in my book case but have not read it yet. I want to, because I have heard highly positive things of her and quite enjoyed the story/stories I read.

    To respond to what you say about The Hunger Games, it has been a while since I have read them so I have to ask: are you sure they "make fun" of frivolous people? What I feel like would be more fitting to say is that they ("they" being Katniss and her surroundings because of the mode of narration) look upon the frivolous people of the Capitol with amazement and disgust because of their habits and what they can afford. Because of the state of poverty district 12 and most other districts are in, I find it weird to imagine them proper making fun of the fact that the Capitol is swimming in money, food and clothing while they have to hunt to get enough food together. What is your perception on this, since you are reading them right now?

    Have fun reading, by the way!

    Evo
  9. Dark Muse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil
    Cute. I'm really enjoying my kitten. Ajani looks almost like my Tiger, domestic short hair, grey tabby. You can see Tiger on my blog posts here:
    http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot....ch/label/Tiger
    Cute kitty. He reminds me a bit of my older cat Strega when he was a kitten. He is also a gray/brown tabby cat.
  10. Dark Muse's Avatar
    Glad to hear you are enjoying it.
  11. Virgil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Muse
    Crime and Punishment is one of my favorite books. I love Dostoevsky. I hope you enjoy your reading.
    I am. It's one of the greatest novels I've ever read.
  12. Virgil's Avatar
    Cute. I'm really enjoying my kitten. Ajani looks almost like my Tiger, domestic short hair, grey tabby. You can see Tiger on my blog posts here:
    http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot....ch/label/Tiger
  13. Dark Muse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutted
    I like the last pic, combined with your description of him.
    Haha thank you, yeah that was the only time I could get a pic of him actually sitting still. Before when I kept trying to take photos he was bouncing around all over the place wanting to play and it was the first time he had been introduced to a camera, so he was very curious and wary of it.
  14. Gutted's Avatar
    I like the last pic, combined with your description of him.
  15. Iain Sparrow's Avatar
    ... for my comments, please go here...
    http://www.online-literature.com/for...37#post1302737
  16. Dark Muse's Avatar
    Thank you, yes it was quite enjoyable and relaxing.
  17. Pompey Bum's Avatar
    Welcome back, DM. Hope your vacation was holidiferous.
  18. Dark Muse's Avatar
    Crime and Punishment is one of my favorite books. I love Dostoevsky. I hope you enjoy your reading.
  19. Virgil's Avatar
    I'm on Goodreads too but I can never get the hang of the place. I don't know why, but I have so much trouble navigating around. I'm on one group but I've probably let them down. I haven't been back in a couple of months. I haven't read any of those. Interesting list, though. My summer read is Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment.
  20. shivaspace23's Avatar
    Mandala healing is not one of the most well known forms of alternative healing. However, the integration of a mandala image into a meditation session can certainly boost the effectiveness of the process. That is why the concept of mandala healing deserves a closer look.
    visit https://newagetools.wordpress.com/
Page 1 of 155 1234561151101 ... LastLast