View RSS Feed

Reflections on the puddle of life

1. My reading year: 2011

by , 12-27-2011 at 01:24 PM (Reflections on the puddle of life)
    So it is time to post about this year's reading. The book I'm currently reading, Beth Gutcheon's Still Missing is likely to take me up to year end so I might as well post this now. I've been pretty lucky this year to have read a lot of really good books, and I've already shared my thoughts on the great female writers I've discovered in the last 12 months. Next year I'm moving on to mammoth novels, so will be reading a lot less in terms of numbers but more in terms of depth (hopefully anyway). I'm ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Great female writers

by , 12-21-2011 at 08:38 AM (Reflections on the puddle of life)
    So this year I decided I wanted to read more books written by women, because when I looked back over my reading habits I noticed that I mainly read books written by men (which are all fine and good) and that women seemed rather underrepresented. And as a woman, I felt rather guilty about that. So I resolved to go out and find some great female writers and you know overall I've been pretty successful. Whether they'd be great in canonical terms, I can't say. I'm not really that good a judge. But I've ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Technological Isolationism

by , 11-13-2011 at 11:33 AM (Reflections on the puddle of life)
    It's a bit of a mouthful isn't it? Something on a TV programme this morning got me thinking about this. Sony have just (?) released a personal video device which is a kind of visor that you wear and which you can watch movies on, or TV. I wonder why anyone would want this. And it got me to thinking about the way technology, and perhaps the desire to increase profits, seems to be pushing us down an increasingly individualistic route, as opposed to encouraging us to share experiences.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. So

by , 10-23-2011 at 01:18 PM (Reflections on the puddle of life)
    I'm supposed to be writing right now, that was my plan anyway. I guess I'm putting it off, it's a common story. My husband is sleeping (it's 6pm) as he hasn't been feeling very well today. Actually he hasn't felt well often recently. I am hoping it is nothing to be worried about. My kids are upstairs playing and I have the living room to myself, with only the sound of my husband's heavy breathing and my fingers tapping on the keyboard. It's kind of relaxing.

It's been a weird year ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. A year of mammoth reading

by , 10-16-2011 at 09:55 AM (Reflections on the puddle of life)
    I got about 2/3rds of the way through another blog and accidentally deleted it, so this is a different blog to the one I intended. It's probably better for it.

As we roll down into autumn, and the nights become longer and the days shorter and the leaves crisp and turn and fall I find myself thinking, already, about next year and my reading aims for the year. Reading aims are always loose, but it's good to have them. So, for example, this year I resolved to read more fiction written ...

Updated 10-16-2011 at 11:37 AM by TheFifthElement

Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast