Blog Comments

He he he Qimi, you are very kind You only need to be kinder to yourself. It is not 'wasting' time on the internet if you're happy doing it. What I realised, for myself, was that it was only making me angry. It is part of why I am less active on the forums, as I tended to fall into arguments which were destructive and really about nothing at all. I do miss a lot of the good members here, however.

Why do I want to read more non-fiction? Hmm. Well I think that I spend an awful lot of time reading and I think that if I just devoted a small amount of that time to reading something factual, I might learn something. Or expand my horizons at least. It is all part of wanting to read more broadly. Also, I was thinking about your comment about 'plunging headlong' into reading and, yes, I think you're right that's what I do. But then I have also decided that my reading goal for this year will include reading less. I know that probably sounds bizarre, but I realise that I devour books, I gobble them down like there's no tomorrow and I don't, by that method, actually give myself the best reading experience. I need to slow down, to absorb, to read and re-read, to allow the message of the book to seep into my soul. More than anything I am coming to realise that I need to focus on quality of experience not just quantity. I haven't got the balance right.
    I've read "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie," "The Fault in Our Stars," "Almost Innocent," (love that title) "Cutter and Bone" (there's also a very good movie that was made from this; I'm sure you could find it on Netflix or some such, if you were interested), "Dracula," (a particular favorite) and "Cherie."

A most excellent list, Fifth. I kind of wish I had your ability to plunge headlong into reading, but mostly I wish I'd quit wasting time on the internet and just get to it. I don't think the time I spend here is a waste; it's just a few minutes here and there, but with my stupid smartphone I can while away several hours. Sometimes it's OK; I've read a number of good articles, but a lot of time I'm just wasting my time. That and TV. Well, my goal is to quit being hard on myself so I'll stop now.

Thank you, Fifth, for your kind words. Maybe that's true. I'm not sure I'll post a list because even though you kindly gave me instructions a year ago I still haven't done anything about my blog. I kind of wish both of you would come around a teensy bit more. You guys and The Comedian. Oh well. I know you're all really busy, so it's OK. Back to reading. (Did you all notice I managed to use the word 'kind' three times in one paragraph? A record, n'est-ce pas?)

Also, why do you want to read more non-fiction? It's fine by me, truly, but I have never liked reading non-fiction books. Non-fiction articles, yes, I can do that, and quite enjoy it, but I feel tremendous impatience with non-fiction books. I feel like saying, "Yes, yes, just get on with it" every time.
    Updated 01-03-2014 at 01:42 AM by qimissung
    Thanks for your comments both. Qimi 5 is better than I usually manage, but still not much. I think I can do more (but less fiction, not more of both). Actually I have started the year reading a non-fiction book so I'm off to a good start. I think my problem has been that I've been trying to read both a fiction and non-fiction book, and that doesn't work for me. I need to read one or the other. Will you be posting a list? I love to read your thoughts on what you've read too. I think you absorb books in far more detail than I do.

Virgil I do get a lot of time to read on my train journeys to/from work which is a 50 minute run each way. Outside of that I read very little. Like you, I'm spending less time on the internet which has had a positive effect on hitting my personal goals. I look forward to reading your list. You always have some interesting observations on what you've read. Hope you and yours had a lovely Christmas and New Year.
    My goodness Fifth, I don't know how you do it. That's way more than one per week. I just wish I could do that. I exceeded what I normally read myself, though this year I had a lot fewer novels. Not participating in Lit Net allows me to pursue my interests, or, perhaps more accurately, better keep to my goals. I'll post mine as I write up something to go with it.
    Hi Fifth! I love reading your year-end blog about the books you've read. This is a very ambitious list, and I think you shouldn't be so hard on yourself about only-only!-reading five non-fiction books this year. I think that's plenty. They take longer to absorb, I think.

Anyway, I enjoyed sharing some books with you this year and I love hearing about the books you're reading as we go along throughout the year. Here's to happy reading in 2014!
    Updated 01-03-2014 at 01:24 AM by qimissung
    Wow what a great list. Good luck with the Novel and the Study.
    Have a great 2013
    You make me feel shame!!! I wonderful list. I see you read the Hunger Games, I couldn't finish it! I think maybe this summer. I am currently reading A Tale of Genji now and I really like it. Thanks for sharing.
    Qimi your wish is my command! The Mishima books were collectively over 1000 pages, but individually much less. It's called his Sea of Fertility tetralogy. Aside from Spring Snow, it was hard work.

Virgil - thanks My son is 12, though soon to be 13. Kids start high school over here at 11, although when I was younger it was generally called secondary school. How things change. Anyway, I would recommend Kristin Lavransdatter if you can spare the time to read it. It is long, but I think it was worth it. It does have very christian overtones, and is also an excellent work of feminist fiction (the good type, not the in-your-face bra burning type). Cosmopolis by DeLillo is a short work, if you did want to delve beyond his short stories. I'd love to hear your thoughts on The Good Soldier. I didn't really enjoy it as a read, but it is a well written book.

Comedian - really good to see you around, and I agree the end of year lists are one of the things I always look forward to on Litnet. In fact I am about to read yours! White Noise is excellent, I can completely understand why it's so highly rated. I'd like to read Mao II next year, as that particular work heavily influenced David Mitchell when he was writing Cloud Atlas so I'd like to see the link. You're right that my son's hallucinations could be migraine related. I am hoping that is what it is.

Many thanks for stopping by all
    These end-of-year reading lists and reflections are some of my favorite blogs of the entire year. And I'm glad to see that you're still readin', writin', parentin', and workin', Fifth.

I've wanted to read Delillo for a while too -- one of my friends and colleagues thinks that White Noise is one of the top novels of the 20th century.

Hope you find out more about your son -- sounds migraine related (I occasionally get migraines and, when I do, see shapes and whatnot until the migraine passes).

Hope you have a great 2013!
    Kristin Lavransdatter by Sigrid Undset was on my 2013 possibilities, but I decided I couldn't handle a 1000 pager. Undset is remarkably unknown, and yet she won the nobel prize in literature. I did choose her bio of St. Catherine of Sienna which I'll get to next month. Don't know if you know, but Undset is a Catholic convert; that bio is a sort of Catholic classic. I've been trying to fill in my reading of Catholic works. Your endorsement of Kristin Lavransdatter might make me reconsider. It's on my Amazon wish list.

When you'll see my list, you'll see I read The Good Soldier as well this year, and I might have a word to say about it. I can see how you gave it a 4/5.

I was tempted to pick up DeLillo myself, but I just picked up his short story collection and read one story. Not sure there was any meat to the story, but I was really impressed with his prose style.

I too am impressed in the amount you can read. I had a good year myself, but I don't even think I reached half that.

High school for us starts at 14 years old, so second year is 15. Somehow I thought your son was younger. It's not unusual for teens to have problems with authority (I know I did, and still do!) but the hallucinations sound disturbing. I hope they can figure this out for him. He'll be in my thoughts. And yes parenting is a hell of a challenge. Until I became one myself I really underestimated its difficulties. As a friend of mine says, it's the hardest job you'll ever love.
    Fifty-two books! A book a week. V-e-r-r-r-y impressive, Fifth. What do you think about highlighting the ones that are over 600 pages? I know The Tale of Genji is one, as are Midnight's Children, The Poisonwood Bible, and Kristin Lavransdatter. I don't know if any of the others are.

I might refer to your list when coming up with new author reads, as it is rife with books I have not read. I recognize a few that we read around the same time, and some that you mentioned. It's always fascinating to see your end of year list, Fifth. Thanks for sharing!
    If you're open to a bit of variation, Chekov's short stories or plays are a must, and could be a good breather between the bricks.
    Thanks Virgil I've read Notes from Underground before. It's an odd little book.
    Fifth, we must be on the same wavelength. I was going to put out my summer reading plans. I think you've got the major Russian novels. You might want to add Notes from Underground by Dostoevsky. And for me, Tolstoy is at his best in the short novels, The Death OF Ivan Ilych, Master and Man, others. In fact you reminded me I had planned to read The Cossacks, but I'm not sure I'll get to it this year.

@Qimi - We read A Day in the Life as a group read here on Lit Net a few years ago, I think in conjunction with Solzhenitsyn passing. You can read the Lit Net commentary on it if you can find it. It's probably an easy search. I remember thinking it an important work, but rather boring.
    Qimi, have you heard the phrase 'your eyes are bigger than your belly' that's kind of how me and books work. Except in this case my eyes are bigger than my brain. Sadly. I hope you like A Day in the Life. You'll have to tell me about that one.

Mick - you're right about Russian literature. I haven't read any in a while but when I was studying Soviet Russia in college I read quite a lot. It has a humanistic touch, but like you say how much of that is down to the translation is hard to say.
    Thanks, Prendrelemick. That gives me hope.
    A Day In The Life, is an easy read and a fantastic one.
    I Like the "Voice" of Russian Literature it is kind of gentle and sweet. Probably down to way Russian syntax translates.
    Good grief, isn't that enough?

OK, you may proceed with being the most awesome reader, ever. I've got "A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovitch" on my shelf, and I'm just hoping I can read that. Sigh.
    I think it was two or three years ago where we had several planets brightly visible with the naked eye in our area at one time. I have a little telescope and I was able to see several. I have a friend at work who teaches astronomy at night at a local university and he's sent me several pictures from whatever superduper telescope they use at the college.

Yikes that would hurt if Matthew one day said something like that to me. I kind of imagine him growing up to love everything I do. I know that's a silly notion. (See Fifth, I use the word silly against myself too!)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFifthElement
    Thanks all
    Virgil - interesting thoughts. I'd be very interested in the longer version if you ever get chance to put them fully into words. But yes, I think you're on to something. Thanks for your enlightening comments
    I had started a series of blogs where I had tagged them Writing. I had intended to put out all my various notions of what good writing is. I think I only got to two blogs and then I quit. It was a lot of effort.

Here are a couple of quotes from Joseph Conrad on how he mixes twos and threes and comes up with his own distinct rhythm. It's very noteworthy and instructive.

“You know I hate, detest, and can't bear a lie, not because I am straighter than the rest of us, but simply because it appalls me. There is a taint of death, a flavour of mortality in lies - which is exactly what I hate and detest in the world - what I want to forget.”
    Notice the threes at the front of that first sentence. The the three phrases of the second sentence: "a taint of death," "a flavor of mortality," and "want to forget" with the two in the middle "hate and detest."

Here's one where he employs all twos, but look how balanced a sentence that turns out to be:
    “Joy and sorrow in this world pass into each other, mingling their forms and their murmurs in the twilight of life as mysterious as an overshadowed ocean, while the dazzling brightness of supreme hopes lies far off, fascinating and still, on the distant edge of the horizon”
    Notice the threes in the first sentence and the twos in the second:
    “It’s extraordinary how we go through life with eyes half shut, with dull ears, with dormant thoughts. Perhaps it’s just as well; and it may be that it is this very dullness that makes life to the incalculable majority so supportable and so welcome.”
    That last sentence there is magnificent. The threes propel it forward at the beginning while the twos make it come to a soft conclusion.

And finally here. You can see just how good this is. And by the way, the word repetitions create another set of duple rhythm.

“It seems to me I am trying to tell you a dream--making a vain attempt, because no relation of a dream can convey the dream-sensation, that commingling of absurdity, surprise, and bewilderment in a tremor of struggling revolt, that notion of being captured by the incredible which is of the very essence of dreams...No, it is impossible; it is impossible to convey the life-sensation of any given epoch of one's existence--that which makes its truth, its meaning--its subtle and penetrating essence. It is impossible. We live, as we dream-alone...”
    It's amazing to me how Conrad, for whom English was his third language, is among the very top of English prose stylists of the modern era.

Let me just say to conclude that I'm a notoriously slow reader, and the reason is that I evaluate almost every sentence as I read for rhythm and sound. It's second nature to me. A great prose stylist like Conrad, or F. Scott Fitzgerald, or Virginia Woolf, or DH Lawrence overwhelm me. Oh, and let me not forget Ford Maddox Ford since I just recently re-read The Good Soldier and was awed by his prose. I love reading the poetry of prose.
Page 1 of 34 12345611 ... LastLast